Swimming at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Women's 400 metre individual medley
|Women's 400 metre individual medley
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Beijing National Aquatics Center|
|Date||August 9, 2008 (heats)
August 10, 2008 (final)
|Competitors||38 from 28 nations|
|Winning time||4:29.45 WR|
|Swimming events at the
2008 Summer Olympics
Australia's Stephanie Rice pulled away to a strong finish on the freestyle leg, as she claimed an Olympic gold medal in the event. She established a sterling time of 4:29.45 to slash 1.67 seconds off the world record, set by Katie Hoff from the U.S. Olympic Trials. Zimbabwe's Kirsty Coventry also went under a world record, but earned her first silver at these Games, in an African record of 4:29.89. Meanwhile, Hoff did not match her stellar performance from the trials, as she settled only for the bronze in 4:31.71.
Rising American teenager Elizabeth Beisel finished outside the medals in fourth place at 4:34.24, holding off Italy's Alessia Filippi (4:34.34) to fifth by exactly a tenth of a second (0.10). Great Britain's Hannah Miley (4:39.44), Russia's Yana Martynova (4:40.04), and China's Li Xuanxu (4:42.13) rounded out the finale.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Katie Hoff (USA)||4:31.12||Omaha, USA||29 June 2008|||
|Olympic record||Yana Klochkova (UKR)||4:33.59||Sydney, Australia||16 September 2000||-|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|August 10||Final||Stephanie Rice||Australia||4:29.45||WR|
|5||Katie Hoff||United States||4:31.71|
|4||4||Elizabeth Beisel||United States||4:34.24|
|6||8||Hannah Miley||Great Britain||4:39.44|
- "Olympic Swimming Schedule". USA Today. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Rice claims first Aussie gold". ABC News. 10 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Stephanie Rice wins Australia's first medal of the Beijing Games in 400m individual medley". The Daily Telegraph (Australia). 10 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (10 August 2008). "Return to Sender…Stephanie Rice Blasts Women's 400 IM World Record". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Hoff loses world record, finishes 3rd in 400 IM". NBC News. 10 August 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Crouse, Karen (30 June 2008). "Rival’s fast finish propels Phelps to another record". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 August 2008.