Swimming at the 2011 World Aquatics Championships – Men's 200 metre individual medley
|Men's 200 metre individual medley
at the 2011 World Aquatics Championships
|Dates||July 27, 2011 (heats and semifinals)
July 28, 2011 (final)
|Competitors||48 from 39 nations|
|Winning time||1:54.00 WR|
|Open water swimming|
The men's 200 metre individual medley competition of the swimming events at the 2011 World Aquatics Championships took place July 27 and 28. The heats and semifinals took place July 27 and the final was held July 28.
The two main contenders for the event were the reigning World Champion and world record holder Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps, the reigning Olympic champion. The final was won by Lochte in a world record time 1:54.00, bettering his previous time of 1:54.10. Phelps finished in second place with a personal best time of 1:54.16. So emphatic was Lochte and Phelps performance, that third-place finisher László Cseh said, "The Americans are too good for me. Only Ryan can beat Michael, but I can improve myself and continue to swim faster."
Prior to the competition, the existing world and championship record were as follows.
|Ryan Lochte||United States||1:54.10||Rome||July 30, 2009|
The following record was established during the competition:
|July 28, 2011||Final||Ryan Lochte||United States||1:54.00||WR||CR|
47 swimmers participated in 6 heats.
The semifinals were held at 19:24.
|1||5||Ryan Lochte||United States||1:56.74||Q|
|2||6||Michael Phelps||United States||1:57.26||Q|
|4||1||Darian Townsend||South Africa||1:59.49|
|5||8||Jan David Schepers||Germany||1:59.83|
|2||3||Markus Rogan||Austria||1:57.74||Q, NR|
|4||7||James Goddard||Great Britain||1:58.50||Q|
The final was held at 18:13.
|4||Ryan Lochte||United States||1:54.00||WR|
|5||Michael Phelps||United States||1:54.16|
|4||7||James Goddard||Great Britain||1:57.79|
- "2011 World Aquatics Championships – Men's 200 metre individual medley (heats)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "2011 World Aquatics Championships – Men's 200 metre individual medley (semifinals)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "2011 World Aquatics Championships – Men's 200 metre individual medley (final)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2011-07-28.
- 2011 World Aquatics Championships: Men's 200 metre individual medley entry list, from OmegaTiming.com; retrieved 2011-07-23.
- FINA World Championships, Swimming: Ryan Lochte Sets First Long Course Post Techsuit-Era World Record, Swimming World Magazine (2011-07-28); retrieved 2011-08-11.
- FINA World Championships, Swimming: At Long Last, A World Record Goes Down, Swimming World Magazine (2011-07-28); retrieved 2011-08-11.