Number of locations
|Per H. Utnegaard, President & CEO|
|Revenue||CHF 3.0 billion (not normalised)|
Number of employees
Swissport International Ltd. with headquarters in Opfikon close to Zurich airport in Switzerland is the world’s leading Service Company to airlines and airports.
It provides aircraft ground handling services for around 224 million passengers and handles 4.1 million tonnes of cargo a year on behalf of some 700 client-companies in the aviation sector. With a workforce of around 55,000 personnel, Swissport is active at more than 260 stations in 45 countries across five continents, and generates consolidated operating revenue of CHF 3.0 billion.
The company was founded in 1996 as Swissair Ground Services International, an independent subsidiary of the former Swissair. In the following years, the company expanded both through organic growth and through various acquisitions. As part of the Swissair financial crisis, Swissport was first purchased by the British private equity firm Candover and in August 2005 by the Spanish construction company Ferrovial. In the meantime, the company has grown through various acquisitions. At the end of 2010, Ferrovial sold Swissport for €654 million to the French private equity firm PAI partners.
Over the years, Swissport has been the recipient of several industry awards, including Ground Handling Award 2013, Air Cargo Handling Agent of the Year 2014 (for the sixth year in succession) and Global Aviation Ground Services Company 2012 (for the twelfth year in succession).
- "History of Swissport International Ltd." Funding Universe. 2005. Retrieved on 22 August 2014.
- "Candover buys Swissair arm" The Telegraph. 02 February 2002. Retrieved on 22 August 2014.
- "Ferrovial to Sell Swissport to PAI Partners for $909 Million" Bloomberg. 02 November 2010. Retrieved on 22 August 2014.
- "Swissport to Acquire Servisair" Airports International. 02 August 2013. Retrieved on 22 August 2014.
- "Commission approves acquisition of ground handling service provider Servisair by Swissport, subject to conditions" europa.eu. 18 December 2013. Retrieved on 22 August 2014.
- "The Swissport Profile" Swissport. Retrieved on 22 August 2014.