Switch (1991 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Blake Edwards|
|Produced by||Tony Adams
|Written by||Blake Edwards|
|Music by||Henry Mancini
|Edited by||Robert Pergament|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Running time||103 minutes|
A promiscuous man, Steve (Perry King) is murdered by one of his three ex-lovers and reincarnated as a beautiful woman (Ellen Barkin) named Amanda. Part of this is devised by the Devil as karma for the man's bad treatment of women. After the transgender change, she encounters other people, including her friend Walter.
This film was indirectly referenced numerous times throughout the long-running series Mystery Science Theater 3000. In the original television spots for the film, Jimmy Smits' name was announced in an unusual way: "Ellen Barkin. Switch. Jimmy Smits. Starts Friday." The writers of MST3K found it amusing that Smits' name was announced after the title and not announced as "also starring Jimmy Smits" or "with Jimmy Smits", only as "Jimmy Smits". Smits became a running gag on the series: in various episodes, a character of the show would say "Jimmy Smits" whenever the word "switch" was uttered or sometimes for seemingly no reason at all.
This motion picture was supposed to have a soundtrack composed and arranged by Henry Mancini, who shares composer credits with Don Grady, but Mancini's score was canned and replaced by a pop song soundtrack. Both the unused Mancini score and the pop song soundtrack were produced on CD in 1991, as a result of which two motion picture soundtrack albums exist for this film.
Henry Mancini score
- Main Title - Theme from "Switch" - 2:10
- Something for Pizzi - 4:00
- Amanda and the Devil - 2:25
- Seduction - 3:17
- Dukes - 3:00
- It's All There (Song from "Switch" Instrumental) - 3:22
- They Marry - 3:34
- Fashion Show - 1:42
- End Title - Theme from "Switch" - 4:30
- Lyle Lovett - "You Can't Resist It" - 3:05
- Ronnie Milsap - "Old Habits Are Hard to Break" - 5:32
- Bruce Hornsby and the Range - "Barren Ground" - 4:53
- Paul Young/Clannad - "Both Sides, Now" - 5:10
- Nathalie Archangel - "So Quiet, So Still" - 4:10
- Pretty Boy Floyd - "Slam Dunk" - 2:55
- Joe Ely - "Are You Listenin' Lucky?" - 3:34
- Indecent Obsession - "Dream After Dream" - 4:06
- The Jets - "Sendin' Out a Message" - 4:03
- Jody Watley - "It's All There" - 2:38
- "MOVIE REVIEWS : Blake Edwards' 'Switch' Takes Comedy to the Edge". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "WEEKEND BOX OFFICE : 'FX2' Leads a Slow Field". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- Beaulieu, Trace; et al. (1996). The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide. New York: Bantam Books. p. 164. ISBN 0-553-37783-3.