|Headquarters||Enterprise, Nevada, United States|
|Key people||Rob Roy (CEO, founder, chairman)|
Switch is a privately held company based in Enterprise, Nevada. The company is the developer and operator of the SUPERNAP, data center facilities, and provides colocation, connectivity, cloud services, and content ecosystems.
Switch Communications began in 2002 as a government contractor, owning and operating data centers throughout Southern Nevada and providing off-site server services. Rob Roy, CEO and founder of Switch, is the organization's principal inventor and chief engineer.
In 2008, the company opened SUPERNAP 7, a 407,000-square-foot facility. As of 2014, Switch has built and is operating two data centers spanning more than 750,000 square feet and covering SUPERNAP phases 1 through 8. In 2014, SUPERNAP 8 received the Tier IV Construction certification from the Uptime Institute, the first certification given to a colocation facility. That same year, Switch formed SUPERNAP International with Orascom TMT Investments to build data center ecosystems worldwide based on designs from the Tier IV-rated SUPERNAP facility. The company is constructing another facility planned at 600,000 square feet for its SUPERNAP 9 and 10 phases. Switch has more than 1,000 clients, including Fortune 1000 companies. Users include Sony, Google, and eBay.
Supercomputer Cherry Creek
In 2014, Switch announced collaboration with Intel and the University of Nevada, Las Vegas to give university researchers access to a powerful supercomputer. iSupercomputer Cherry Creek will be housed on Switch's campus, with researchers accessing the computer through SUPERNAP's connectivity network to work in fields that include genetics and medicine.
- Jennifer Robison (21 September 2011). "Switch Communications data center expanding to 2.2 million square feet". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Overgaard, Kristi "Switch SUPERNAP Named as the First and Only Registered Hosting Center for Online Gaming by the Nevada Gaming Commission" Nevada Business. May 31, 2013
- Miller, Rich "SuperNAP 8 Earns Tier IV Gold Status for Operations"Data Center Knowledge. August 5, 2014
- Luxford, Hollie"SuperNAP Data Centers Branches Out of the US"Data Center Dynamics. March 13, 2014
- Miller, Rich "Shutterfly Deploys 1,000 Cabinets at Switch SUPERNAP"Data Center Knowledge. October 16, 2014
- Brodkin, John "Meet Rob Roy, the man who built the SuperNAP data center"Network World. Jan. 22, 2009
- Schmidt, Will "UNLV Awarded the Use of Intel's World-Class Supercomputer Cherry Creek"Tech Cocktail Las Vegas. Oct. 13, 2014