Switched (Amanda Hocking book)
|Series||Trylle Trilogy (Book One)|
|Publisher||Self-published, St. Martin's Press|
|April 2010 (eBook)
January 2012 (print)
|Media type||eBook, Print (paperback)|
Switched is the first book of the young adult paranormal literature series the Trylle Trilogy. It follows the story of Wendy Everly as she meets Finn Holmes, who informs her of her inherited royal status and true identity as a member of the Trylle.
Switched was first self-published as an eBook by author Amanda Hocking in early 2010, and was published in paperback by St. Martin's Press on January 24, 2012. Her failing to initially get published through traditional book publishers was an advantage because "it allowed me to put a lot of books on the market quickly, so if people liked them, they could immediately buy another" ... so the first of a trilogy, Switched, sold 50 eBooks the first month and increased rapidly reaching almost a million copies. This was "the most spectacular example of an author striking gold through ebooks."
The story begins with a prologue entitled "Eleven Years Ago", in which Wendy recounts her sixth birthday party. She expresses contempt at the gifts of fragile porcelain dolls she does not want. She throws a tantrum at seeing her mother has bought her a chocolate birthday cake, to which her mother asks what sort of child she is. Wendy's mother claims she is not her daughter, and attempts to take her life with the knife she had been using to cut the cake.
Whilst wandering the halls of the Palace, Wendy breaks into a locked room stocked with many undisplayed photos. She recognizes in one of them a sad Elora with a male baby, then realizes one contains herself, wearing a white gown and an injured leg, an horrified expression on her face. Finn discovers her and tells her that Elora's Trylle power consists of precognition that she can only utilise through painting. Finn tells her of the societal rules of the Trylle; whilst the Princess, Queens and Marksinna (nobles) are the highest, the Trackers and mänsklig are considered even lower than the peasantry.
Finn reveals that Elora and his father had once had an affair, to which Wendy expresses disbelief that Elora could show an emotion other than anger.
Finn begins to tutor her in the history and etiquette of the Trylle so that Wendy can properly handle her future role as Queen and not embarrass Elora. He warns Wendy that she cannot become involved with Rhys past a platonic level as it would "corrupt" the bloodline of the royalty, and the strong powers held by the royals would cease to exist. Finn reveals that the mänsklig are the children taken in place of the changelings, that live with the family who swap the children, and Rhys is the mänsklig left in Wendy's place.
An introductory ball is scheduled to be held in Wendy's honour which Finn prepares her for. Elora tells Wendy that she will be choosing a more appropriate name for her Trylle life. Wendy says that she does not want to and will not, much to Elora's annoyance. Elora speaks with Finn and he resigns. Wendy finds him before he goes and the two share a kiss. Finn says that he cannot allow her to proceed.
The next night at Wendy's ball, the Vittra attack, forcing the Trylle that possess helpful powers to retaliate. Jen, the member who had previously injured Wendy when trying to kidnap her, rounds on her. Rhys attempts to help her escape but is knocked unconscious. Finn returns, almost losing his life to aid the princess. Tove, a young Markis, uses psychokinesis to save Finn's life and successfully get rid of Jen.
Elora and the Trylle inside the ballroom manage to quell the Vittra threat and the three return inside. Finn and Wendy reunite, until Elora informs Wendy that Finn has left, having been transferred once more. Wendy reacts angrily and uses her persuasive powers on Rhys to get him to drive her home to Matt and Maggie, her biological family.
- Narrator of the series. The Trylle "Princess". She lived with her brother (Matt) and Aunt Maggie after her mother, Kim, tried to kill her at the age of six. The first chapter starts the book eleven years later. Wendy was kicked out of countless schools for violence. At the start of the book she has just moved to a new town and new school. She promises that she is trying to do better and makes friends Patrick and Finn. She develops feeling for Finn, the newest boy to the school, who is constantly staring at her. He is the one who takes her away to the Trylle town, Forening. Her biological mother is the Trylle "Queen", Elora.
- Wendy's older "host" brother. He named her when she was born as her mother would not.
- Wendy's tracker and bodyguard. She has feelings for him which he seems to return throughout the book.
- Wendy's mother. Queen of the Trylle.
- Wendy's friend in the Trylle town. She is also a Markisina.
- A Markis.
- Matt's mother, put away in a mental institution because she tried to kill Wendy.
- Kim's real son, Matt's real brother. Taken in place of Wendy. Called a "Mänks".
- Matt's and Rhys' aunt. Wendy's "host" aunt.
- Like Rhys, a Mänks, but she is Willa's mänkslig.
- Hocking, Amanda. "Trylle Trilogy (blog)". blogspot.com. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Hocking, Amanda. "Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1)". blogspot.com. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Trylle Trilogy: Switched - Amazon.com (Paperback)".
- Skidelsky, William (26 February 2011). "Kindle gives thriller writer a plot for success – at 71p a shot". The Observer. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Amanda Hocking - Switched". panmacmillan.com. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Millar, Sarah (3 March 2011). "How a failed author made $2 million from e-books". The Star (Toronto). Retrieved 17 February 2014.