(under the Microïds brand)
|Distribution||Optical disc, digital distribution|
Syberia III is an upcoming computer adventure game conceived by Benoît Sokal and due for release in 2014 or 2015. It is published by Anuman Interactive under the Microïds brand and it is a continuation to the Syberia series. The Syberia series follows the adventures of Kate Walker, a lawyer, and contains steampunk elements.
On 1 April 2009 Microïds announced that Syberia III was being developed and aimed to be released on PC and PlayStation 3 in June 2010 as a real-time 3D game. The company had then stated that the game would miss its original June 2010 release date due to the fact that negotiations with Benoît Sokal were underway and the takeover by Anuman. On 17 April 2010 another press release was issued, explaining that the PC version will be released, but the PS3 version may not, due to problems with Sony. Microïds had also asked that fans of Syberia send them emails of support for the game.
In an interview given in February 2011, Benoît Sokal revealed that work on the game had not even started due to a lack of funding. He says that he would want to use real-time 3D graphics comparable to those of Assassin's Creed. However, that would require a very large budget. He states that developing the game on the same engine as Syberia I and II is not an option because that would lead to a commercial failure.
On 26 November 2012 Microïds revealed on their Facebook page that Benoît Sokal had officially signed a contract with Anuman to write the story of Syberia III and that official development had started. The game is scheduled for release in 2014 or 2015. Additionally the project is to be overseen by Elliot Grassiano, the original founder of Microïds. On 21 August 2013 it was announced that the game has gone into production.
- Romano, Sal (2012-11-26). "Syberia III announced for multiplatform 2014-2015 release". Gematsu. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- Sarkar, Samit (2012-11-26). "Syberia 3 in development with original writer, set for release in 2014 or 2015". Polygon. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- Phillips, Tom (2012-11-26). "GAME CONNECTION - Anuman and Benoit Sokal confirms Syberia 3". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- "Microïds launches Syberia 3 on PS3". Microïds. 2009-04-01. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- "Microϊds cancels the original release date". Microïds. 2010-04-08. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Returns on the Syberia 3 announcement". Microïds. 2009-04-17. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- "Work on Syberia 3 has not started". 2011-02-09.
- "Microids confirm that production of Syberia III has started". Anuman via Facebook. 2011-11-26. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Syberia 3, the sequel of Microïds’ adventure game cult saga, goes in production". Microïds. 2013-08-21. Retrieved 2013-10-02.