|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom and Los Angeles, United States|
|Simon Cowell, Nigel Hall (Global Head of TV), Sonny Takhar (MD, Syco Music)|
|Products||Television, music, film, digital, entertainment|
|Owners||Sony Music (50%)
Simon Cowell (50%)
Syco Entertainment, often known simply as Syco, is a global joint venture between Simon Cowell and Sony Music Entertainment focused on the production and marketing of music, television, film and digital content. It employs a staff of more than 50 in offices in London and Los Angeles and manages a string of high-profile television and music brands through partnerships with Sony Music labels and TV production partners, most notably FremantleMedia. Cowell and Sony Music Entertainment each own 50% of the business. Retail billionaire Sir Philip Green, a close friend of Cowell, serves as an advisor to the company. Karren Brady, television personality and vice-chairman of West Ham United F.C., also serves as an advisor to the company.
Syco TV primarily operates in the United Kingdom and the United States. Its key franchises are The X Factor and Got Talent, which are amongst the most successful TV formats in the world.
The X Factor
The X Factor, which launched in September 2004, is one of the most popular television shows in the UK. Syco and Fremantle Media launched The X Factor USA in September 2011, which averaged 12 million viewers and a 4.0 rating in the adults 18-49 demographic in its first season, leading FOX to nightly wins on Wednesdays and Thursdays and topping all other fall season reality competition.
Internationally, The X Factor is produced individually in 41 countries including major markets like France, the Netherlands, Indonesia and Australia. Additionally, The X Factor USA is screened in 166 countries around the world.
America's Got Talent matched a series high 4.6 rating among adults 18-49 in the summer of 2011 for its sixth season. Since launching in 2006, America's Got Talent has consistently been the most watched show of the summer in the U.S. and topped the ratings in the key adults 18-49 demographic.
Britain's Got Talent consistently tops UK ratings when it is broadcast in April, May and June. In 2009, nearly 20 million people (one third of the UK population) tuned into the series 3 final to see Diversity crowned winners.
Got Talent has been even more successful internationally than The X Factor and individual versions of the format now air in 60 countries including China - making Got Talent the most successful television format in the world as of March 2013.
Syco produces other shows outside its key brands. In 2011, ITV series Red or Black? was met with mixed reaction. Syco were also behind American Inventor which ran for two seasons on ABC and the unsuccessful Celebrity Duets on Fox. In addition to its major formats, Syco also produce entertainment specials. This includes I Dreamed a Dream: The Susan Boyle Story, which broke ratings records in the U.S. on TV Guide network and scored 10 million viewers on ITV in the UK. In 2013, Syco and Optomen launched ITV1 series Food Glorious Food, which aired on Wednesday evenings in the UK.
Syco Entertainment were the executive producers of the film One Direction: This Is Us from director Morgan Spurlock, which follows the life of pop sensations One Direction. The band had come third in the 2010 UK X Factor series, before being signed to Syco.
In March 2013, Syco in partnership with YouTube, launched The You Generation channel which is listed as the 'world's first global audition'. In May 2014, Syco and Univision announced an upcoming TV called La Banda which will focus on searching contestants from Hispanic America to find the "ultimate Latino boy band" with the winner receiving a recording contract for Sony Music Latin and Syco.
- The X Factor (2004–present)
- The Xtra Factor (2004–present)
- America's Got Talent (2006–present)
- Britain's Got Talent (2007–present)
- Britain's Got More Talent (2007–present)
- The X Factor USA (2011–2013)
- Food Glorious Food (2013)
- One Direction: This Is Us 3D movie (released August 30, 2013)
- One Chance (released October 25, 2013)
- The You Generation YouTube Channel (2013–2014)
- "TV Ratings Broadcast Top 25: ‘Sunday Night Football’ Beaten By ‘Modern Family’ & ‘Two and a Half Men’ In Week #5 Among Adults 18-49 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "Tuesday Final Ratings: ‘America’s Got Talent’ Adjusted Up, Ties Series High; ‘Combat Hospital’ Hits Lows - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "News & Comments". Televisual. 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "Susan Boyle Special Breaks TV Guide Network Ratings Records - Today's News: Our Take". TVGuide.com. 2009-12-15. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "Weekly Top 30 Programmes". Barb.co.uk. 2011-12-25. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "Simon Cowell's Syco Entertainment and Univision Team Up to Find Ultimate Latino Boy Band". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2014-08-24.