Sydney Secondary College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
|Sydney Secondary College|
Quality, Opportunity, Diversity
|Leichhardt, Balmain & Glebe, New South Wales
|Type||Public, partially selective, Co-educational, Secondary, Day school|
|Colour(s)||Black, White & Blue|
Sydney Secondary College is a college of three high schools campuses operating in Sydney's Inner-West.
The three campuses that make up Sydney Secondary College are:
- Leichhardt Campus, a co-educational, years 7-10, partially selective school
- Balmain Campus, a co-educational, years 7-10, partially selective school
- Blackwattle Bay Campus, a co-educational, years 11-12, mainstream school.
Students who enrol at either of the Balmain or Leichhardt Campuses usually continue to senior secondary school at the Blackwattle Bay Campus.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (June 2013)|
The college was formed in 2002, after a plan for revitalisation of public education in the inner-city was introduced. The three pre-existing independent high schools were linked to form Sydney Secondary College. Facilities across the three campuses were renovated.
Starting from 2005, Leichhardt and Balmain became junior campuses (years 7-10), with an emphasis on middle schooling. Blackwattle Bay, formerly Glebe High School, became the specialist senior campus (11-12), being able to offer one of the widest curriculum choices in Sydney.
Leichhardt, while formerly the smallest school in NSW (in terms of area) has now expanded with a sporting oval, at the cost of A$6 million.
Sport is compulsory for years 7-11 and is held on Tuesday afternoons. The junior Campuses have a strong sporting tradition and a friendly rivalry. If a student in years 7-10 decides not to participate in a grade sport, they can choose recreational sport, which consists of a mix of all sports. . Various all-college events are held throughout the year, including the Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics Carnivals, and Gala Days. Blackwattle is on the waterfront, which allows students the opportuntity to undertake rowing, dragonboat racing and kayaking as extracurricular activities.
- Blackwattle Bay Campus
- Balmain Campus
- Leichhardt Campus
- List of selective high schools in New South Wales
- "Sport & physical activity". Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "London 2012 - Renuga Veeran Athlete Profile". Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- NSW Department of Education and Training: Sydney Secondary College Balmain Campus
- NSW Department of Education and Training: Sydney Secondary College Leichhardt Campus
- NSW Department of Education and Training: Sydney Secondary College Blackwattle Bay Campus