|Home ground:||ANZ Stadium
Sydney Showground Stadium
|Official website:||Official Website
official Facebook page
The Sydney Thunder are an Australian professional cricket team, competing in Australia's domestic Twenty20 cricket competition, the Big Bash League. The team's captain for the 2013–14 season was Michael Clarke, while the team's coach was Chandika Hathurusingha, who resigned from the position in May 2014 in order to coach the Bangladesh national side. The team has finished last in each of its three seasons in the competition.
Along with the Sydney Sixers they are the successors of the New South Wales Blues who played in the now-defunct KFC Twenty20 Big Bash. The Thunder's home ground is ANZ Stadium in Sydney's west. Their team uniform is electric green. Cricket Australia did not allow Cricket NSW to use the sky blue colour traditionally associated with New South Wales sports teams. The Cricket NSW board unanimously decided on electric green as the team's colour, though other colours were considered, and rejected as being too close to other Sydney sports teams.
2011 player signings
Sydney Thunder, like every other team, has a salary cap of $1 million for the first season of the Big Bash League, but they have spent almost half of the salary cap on the explosive opening combination of Chris Gayle and David Warner. Gayle was pursued by Perth Scorchers but he rejected an offer of $250,000 to stay with the New South Wales team.
Year-By Year Record
|Year||Big Bash League||Year||Champions League Twenty20|
Players with international caps are listed in bold.
|Name||Nat||Birth date||Batting Style||Bowling Style||Notes|
|Michael Hussey||27 May 1975||Left-handed||Right arm medium|
|Usman Khawaja||18 December 1986||Left-handed||Right arm medium|
|Aiden Blizzard||27 June 1984||Left-handed||Left arm medium|
|Cameron Borgas||1 September 1983||Right-handed||Right arm off spin|
|Daniel Hughes||16 February 1989||Left-handed||Right arm medium|
|Kurtis Patterson||5 April 1993||Left-handed||Right arm off spin|
|Jacques Kallis||16 October 1975||Right-handed||Right arm fast medium||Overseas player|
|Dirk Nannes||16 May 1976||Right-handed||Left arm fast|
|Gurinder Sandhu||14 February 1993||Left-handed||Right arm fast medium|
|Chris Tremain||10 August 1991||Right-handed||Right arm fast medium|
- Big Bash:
- Champions (0):
- Runners-Up (0):
- Minor Premiers (0):
- Finals Series Appearances (0):
- Wooden Spoons (3): 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14
- Champions (0):
- Wu, Andrew (15 March 2011). "Sydney Thunder to clash with Sixers in Big Bash". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "New Twenty20 Big Bash league to feature teams in pink, orange and purple as tradition is abandoned". Fox Sports (Australia). 6 April 2011. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "BBL team names and colours". 6 April 2011. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "Chris Gayle signs for Sydney Thunder in Big Bash League". Herald Sun. 30 June 2011.
- GAYLE JOINS WARNER AT THUNDER Bigbash.com.au.[dead link]
- "Sydney Thunder Website".
- Less Gaskin. University of Canberra Reaffirms Sporting Focus. SMH 13 Dec. 2013 http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/university-of-canberra-reaffirms-sporting-focus-with-big-bash-league-20131213-2zbmn.html