Sydney Turner (2 April 1814 - 26 June 1879) was an Anglican clergyman, Dean of Ripon  from December 1875  until March 1876. He was born in 1814, the youngest son of the historian Sharon Turner, and educated at Trinity College, Cambridge. He was ordained in 1837 and became a curate at Christ Church, Southwark. He was for many years an Inspector of Industrial and Reformatory Schools. He was Chaplain to the Philanthropic Society for the reformation of juvenile offenders from 1842 to 1857. An Inspector of prisons from 1858 to 1867, in 1858 he delivered a sermon to open the meeting of the National Association for the Promotion of Social Science. He was Rector of Hempsted from 1867 to 1875, and again (after his brief spell as Dean of Ripon) from 1876 until his death
He died on 26 June 1879.
- Report on the system and arrangements of "La colonie agricole" at Mettray, 1846
- Reformatory Schools. A Letter to C. B. Adderley, Esq., M.P, 1848
- Pray for us : a farewell sermon, preached in the Philanthropic Society's Chapel, St. George's Fields, on Sunday, April 16th, 1849, 1849
- First report of the inspector appointed, under the provisions of the Act 5 & 6 Will.IV.c.38, to visit the different reformatory schools of Great Britain, 1858
- ^ "A Dictionary of Universal Biography: Of All Ages and of All Peoples" Hyamson,A.M:London : Routledge & Kegan Paul ; New York : E. P. Dutton & Co., 1966
- ^ CHRONICLE OF EVENTS IN THE YEAR 1875 . The Pall Mall Gazette (London, England), Monday, January 3, 1876; Issue 3393
- ^ LOCAL AND DISTRICT NEWS The Huddersfield Daily Examiner (West Yorkshire, England), Wednesday, March 08, 1876; pg. 3; Issue 2679. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
- ^ a b Obituary. The Times (London, England), Wednesday, Jul 02, 1879; pg. 7; Issue 29609
- ^ a b c "Turner, Sydney". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- ^ ECCLESIASTICAL INTELLIGENCE . The Hampshire Advertiser (Southampton, England), Saturday, June 10, 1876; pg. 2; Issue 3129. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.Category: News
- ^ The inaugural addresses ... together with the sermon by the Reverend Sydney Turner, 1858.