Sydney Uni Boxing Club
|Full name||Sydney Uni Boxing Club|
|Gym(s)||HK Ward Gymnasium, University of Sydney|
|President||Pat Cunningham |
|Treasurer||Andrew McNair |
|Committee||Tom Fernon, Sean Bowes |
|Coach(es)||Dennis Moffatt, Paul Miller (boxer), Omar Colakoglu, George Plellis, Andrew McNair|
Sydney Uni Boxing Club (SUBxC), established in 1908, is the University of Sydney's boxing club. Prior to 1908, the Club existed as a division of Sydney University Athletics Club. SUBxC is a founding member of the NSW Amateur Boxing Association (NSW ABA, known also as Boxing NSW), and is currently a member club of Sydney Uni Sport and Fitness, where it conducts all levels of boxing training at the dedicated facilities of HK Ward Gymnasium. Historically, the Club has competed against other Australian universities, as well as teams from the Australian military.
Sydney Uni Boxing Club enters its own competitive boxers in State/National competition, and also hosts the annual University of Sydney Inter-Collegiate and Club Boxing Tournament, which has traditionally been held on the second Wednesday of October.
Club and College Competition
Competition between the University of Sydney's Colleges occur as part of the University of Sydney Inter-Collegiate and Club Boxing Tournament, with male boxers representing St. Andrew's, St. John's, St. Paul's and Wesley competing for the trophy. Female boxers have never represented their colleges because, until 2009, it was illegal for females to compete in boxing in New South Wales. Profits from the Tournament's raffle go to aid the efforts of a local charity, the Glebe Youth Service.
In the University of Sydney Inter-Collegiate and Club Boxing Tournament of October 14, 2009, female boxers competed on University soil for the first time.
Coaching and Training
As an active team, Sydney Uni Boxing Club conducts club training sessions three evenings and one afternoon per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday), coached by the various club coaches.
- SUBxC Committee 2009-Present[dead link]
- "'R.A.N.R beats University', Sydney Morning Herald, 11 July 1935". Nla.gov.au. 1935-07-11. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Safi, M. (2010) 'Soc It To Me: Sydney Uni Boxing Society', Honi Soit, Edition 23.
- Nick Lucchinelli (2008-12-19). "Lucchinelli, N. (2008) 'NSW opens ring for women's boxing', Sydney Morning Herald, 19 December, 2008". Abc.net.au. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "(2009) 'Sydney University Championships and Inter Collegiate Championships'". Cornerman.com.au. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- SUBxC Training and Coaches[dead link]
- Boxing Australia/NSW Boxing Australia/NSW Website
- Croker, G. (2003) 'Arts student eyes up Pacific IBF title', University of Sydney News, 14 November 2003.
- Cook, J. and Collings, B. (2010) 'Scientist comfortable in a lab or boxing ring', Sydney Morning Herald, 7 July 2010.
- Sydney Uni Boxing on Sydney Uni Sport and Fitness
- Sydney Uni Boxing Club - Official Facebook Group