Sydney Water logo
|Formed||26 March 1888|
|Jurisdiction||Government of New South Wales|
|Headquarters||1 Smith Street, Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia|
|Minister responsible||Andrew Constance, Minister for Finance and Services|
|Agency executives||Kevin Young, Managing Director
Bruce Morgan, Chairman of the Board
Sydney Water is a New South Wales government owned corporation that provides drinking water, wastewater and some stormwater services to Sydney, Illawarra and the Blue Mountains, in Australia. Sydney Water has historically held a monopoly over the supply of water within the Sydney region, although legislation has recently been passed to open the market to competition.
Sydney Water has been known by a number names over the years including:
- Board of Water Supply and Sewerage (1888 – 1892)
- Metropolitan Board of Water Supply and Sewerage (1892 – 1925)
- Metropolitan Water Sewerage and Drainage Board (1925 – 1987)
- Water Board (1987 – 1994) which had also been the colloquial name for the organisation for much of its history in the 20th century, and persists among longer term employees and older members of the community to this day
- Sydney Water Corporation Limited (1995 – 1999)
- Sydney Water Corporation (1999 – present) - with "Limited" being dropped when the corporation changed from a state owned limited company to a statutory state-owned corporation.
Criticism of management
Sydney Water's management suffered an enormous amount of criticism following the 1998 Sydney water crisis that was believed to be the large scale contamination of Sydney's raw water supply. The supposed contamination was heightened levels of cryptosporidium and giardia in Sydney's Warragamba Dam. This meant the public had to take extra steps in their own homes to ensure tap water was safe to drink. After this event, the Sydney Catchment Authority was created to manage Sydney's dams, raw water and catchment areas.
- "Agency Profile of the Board of Water Supply and Sewerage". State Records Authority of New South Wales. Retrieved 7 February 2008.
- "Agency Profile of the Metropolitan Water Sewerage and Drainage Board". State Records Authority of New South Wales. Retrieved 7 February 2008.
- "Agency Profile of the Sydney Water Corporation Limited". State Records Authority of New South Wales. Retrieved 7 February 2008.
- "The Great Sydney Water crisis of 1998". SpringerLink - The Netherlands. Retrieved 25 February 2010.
- Sydney's desal plant switched on – Sydney Morning Herald, 2010-01-28.