The former main headquarters in Malmö.
History and profile
Sydsvenskan was founded in 1870. In 1871 the paper merged with Snällposten which was started in 1848. Sydsvenskan is headquartered in Malmö and mostly distributed in southern Scania. Its coverage is characterized by local news from southwest Scania in addition to a full coverage of national, EU, and international news. The paper is owned by the Bonnier Group which bought it in 1994.
Until 1966, Sydsvenskan had close ties to the Rightist Party (now Moderate Party). In the Swedish debate about the country's role in the EU and in relation to the Eurozone, the paper has emphasized the importance of a closer political, economical, and cultural affiliation to Europe. Its stated editorial position is "independent liberal".
Sydsvenskan introduced a soft paywall in February 2013. Those who did not have a paper subscription could view a maximum of 20 free articles per month. A year after, this was changed to 5 articles per week. Subscription models were available from 28 Swedish kronor, with the cheapest one giving full access to the website. In August 2014, this was raised to 59 Swedish kronor (around US$7.10), as the former price was an introductory price. A year after the introduction of the paywall, 60,000 subscribers had created accounts on the website and 4,000 had purchased a digital subscription.
In 1998 the circulation of Sydsvenskan was 125,000 copies on weekdays and 146,000 copies on Sundays. The paper had a circulation of 129,300 copies on weekdays in 2005. It was 104,500 copies in 2012.
Acquisition of Helsingborgs Dagblad
In the end of April 2014, Sydsvenskan acknowledged their intention to buy Helsingborgs Dagblad. A deal was reached in the end of May and the Swedish Competition Authority approved it around two weeks after. A strong reason was reported to be that both newspapers had seen their ad revenue decrease heavily.
- Karl Erik Gustafsson; Per Rydén (2010). A History of the Press in Sweden. Gothenburg: Nordicom. ISBN 978-91-86523-08-4. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Stig Hadenius; Lennart Weibull (1999). "The Swedish Newspaper System in the Late 1990s. Tradition and Transition". Nordicom Review 1 (1). Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Swedish mass media". Swedish Institute. 2006. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- Torbjörn Vallinder. "Sydsvenska Dagbladet Snällposten". Nationalencyklopedin. Retrieved 10 April 2013. (Swedish)
- Eurotopics Media Index
- "The press in Sweden". BBC News. 2004. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- "Så lanseras Sydsvenskans betalvägg". Dagens Media (in Swedish). 4 February 2013. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Sydsvenskan skruvar åt sin betallösning". Journalisten (in Swedish). 3 February 2014. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Därför chockhöjer Sydsvenskan priset". Resumé (in Swedish). 18 August 2014.
- "Konkurrensverket godkänner tidningsaffär". Sveriges Radio (in Swedish). 9 July 2014.
- "Sydsvenskan köper HD". Medievärlden (in Swedish). 23 April 2014.