Syed Abdul Mujeeb
|Asst. Prof. Syed Abdul Mujeeb Jaffry|
|Born||12 February 1957
|Died||6 September 2009 (aged 52)
|Awards||Pride of Performance|
Syed Abdul Mujeeb (Urdu: سید عبدالمجیب)
(12 February 1957 – 6 September 2009) was a medical scientist of standing in the field of Microbiology. He was awarded the "Pride of Performance" by the President of Pakistan Pervez Musharraf at an investiture ceremony on the Pakistan Day, on 23 March 2008.
Dr. Syed Abdul Mujeeb was a medical graduate in 1980 from Liaquat Medical College, Jamshoro Sindh University and Masters (M.Phil) in 1992 (Microbiology) from Basic Institute of Medical Science, Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre (JPMC), Karachi University. He also did MSc Epidemiology from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. At the time of his demise, he was Associate Professor at Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre, Karachi, Pakistan. He was founder member of Pakistan Biological Safety Association, a member of International Biosafety Working Group (IBWG). and was appointed member of the committee on biological drugs in pursuance to Section 10 of the Drugs Act, 1976 the Federal Government of Pakistan, Ministry of Health, (Re-constitution of the expert committee on Biological Drugs)
As a renowned medical scientist of Pakistan, he had done many pioneering works in the field of Haematology. His cooperation in the establishment of series of blood banks in Pakistan will always be remembered. He authored many books, papers, pamphlets and monographs. He had working relations with many national and international organisations such as WHO, UNICEF, UNO and Blood Banks of many countries.
He was Associate Prof in the Department of Pathology, Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre, since 2006. In addition, he was also Associate Prof of Pathology (Honorary) at Dow University of Health Science from 2008; Member, WHO Expert Advisory Panel on Blood Transfusion Medicine and Research Coordinator (2007–2009) at JPMC.
A senior microbiologist, in charge and head of the blood bank at the Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre, Dr Syed Abdul Mujeeb, died due to heart attack. He was 52. A number of doctors belonging to the JPMC and other healthcare facilities and educational institutions attended his funeral prayers.
He had received the President’s Pride of Performance Award for his outstanding services in medicine in 2008. He had written numerous research articles, awareness publications published in international and national scientific journals. To his admirers, friends and colleagues, Dr Mujeeb was a thorough professional, committed to the wellbeing of patients suffering from blood diseases.
An expert in infectious diseases, Dr Rafiq Khanani (Director of Dow Diagnostic Research and Reference Laboratories & President Infection Control Society of Pakistan) expressed sorrow over Dr Mujeeb’s death and said he would always be remembered for his research and services in the field of transfusion medicine. He always stressed the importance of safe blood and blood products and their transfusion. In June 2009, Dr Mujeeb had participated in the Global Consultation on 100 per cent Voluntary Non-remunerated Donation of Blood and Blood Components, organised by the World Health Organisation in Melbourne, Australia. In a presentation there, he had said that Pakistan with a population of 160 million had in general disorganised, fragmented and hospital-based blood transfusion services, with no national blood transfusion services and programme for voluntary blood donors. If two per cent eligible population donated blood twice a year, all current requirements of blood could be met in the country, he had said.
Syed Abdul Mujeeb was the second in order amongst his four brothers and three sisters (Syed Abdul Haseeb, Syed Abdul Hafeez, Syed Abdul Muqeet, Syed Abdul Moiz, Qudsia Khatoon, Fakhra Munawar and Fouzia Masood). He was the worthy son of Professor Syed Muhammad Saleem and Asia Khatoon. Late Professor Syed Muhammad Saleem did MA (Arabic) and LLB in 1946 from Aligarh Muslim University. In the University, he was a prominent student of Professor Abdul Aziz Memon. This family before migration to Pakistan belonged to Tijara, Alwar before the partition of India.
- He was working for the welfare of HIV positive people. He spoke many a times about the Human rights violations of PLWA/HIV by their family members.
- Organized, coordinated, and facilitated blood transfusion services in Abbottabad, Mansehra and Muzaffarabad following 2005 Kashmir earthquake, through the support of Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre, Ministry of Health, Government of Pakistan, National AIDS Control Program, Hussani Blood Bank, Hussani Foundation, and numerous philanthropists and blood transfusion organizations.
- Conducted, facilitated, and coordinated six days National Training Program on Training on Safe Blood Technique Workshops and Advocacy Seminars in the country in the year 2005, 2006 at Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar, Abbottabad, Quetta, Gilgit, Sukker, Larkana and Hyderabad (Partners: The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, WHO, National AIDS Control Program, Government of Pakistan, and Hussaini Blood Bank)
- DFID, (UK). Pakistan Health Sector Reform, 2009
- WHO and UNAIDS. Geneva. Blood safety 2009
- WHO, Pakistan. Revision of National program on Hepatitis 2009
- WHO Geneva. Safe blood for safe motherhood 2008
- UNAIDS and Government of Pakistan. Editing and development of national guidelines for voluntary counseling and testing for HIV infection 2003-2004.
- UNAIDS and Government of Pakistan. HIV/AIDS in Pakistan –Situation and response analysis. 1999-2000
- UNICEF and Government of Sindh. Risk assessment of high risk behavior population (IV drug users, commercial sex workers, and transsexuals). 2001.
- UNICEF and Government of Sindh. Risk assessment of high risk behavior population (seafarers, frequent travelers, prisoners).2002
- Aga Khan University Hospital[disambiguation needed]. CHS. Study designing on reproductive health 2001-2002.
Inspectional visits for GMP Compliance of Biological Products’ Manufacturer’s Plants
- Inspections of Cadila Healthcare Limited (Ahmedabad, India), Human Biological Institute (Ooty, India), and VINS bioproduct limited (Hyderabad, India) from 20–29 November 2006
- Inspections of Cipla (Goa, Kurkumbh and Mumbai, India) and Dabur Pharma limited (Baddi, India) from 20–29 September 2006.
Many libraries are having his publications. Few of his books and reprints of research papers are also extant in the Library of Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences, Aligarh, India.
- Blood Transfusion: A technical and clinical care, Blood Bank, JPMC: 2002.
- AIDS Pandemic in Pakistan (Urdu), Hamzad Publication, Karachi, Pakistan
- HIV/AIDS in Pakistan. Co-authored with Shah SA, Khanani R. and Baqui S., Sindh AIDS Control Program, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Common question asked about AIDS. Pakistan AIDS prevention society. Karachi. 1992
- AIDS ke daryaft ke kahani (Urdu). ( A tale of discovery of AIDS) Pakistan AIDS Prevention Society. Karachi. 1992
- AIDS sawal aor Jawab (Udru).(What is AIDS, questions and answers). Sindh AIDS control programme. Karachi, 1996
- Atya khoon (Urdu). (Donation of blood). Sindh AIDS control Programme. Karachi, 1996
- Alodah soyoon so buchaya (Urdu). (Avoid contaminated needles). Sindh AIDS control Programme. Karachi, 1996
- Bil akher AIDS sa bachoo kiyoon (Urdu).(Why to prevent HIV/AIDS in Pakistan). Sindh AIDS control programme. Karachi,1998
- Sozish-e-jigar.Hepatitis. (Hepatitis) Sindh AIDS control programme. Karachi, 1998
- Mahfooz tareen intiqual khoon (Urdu). (Autologus blood transfusion). Sindh AIDS Control Programme. Karachi, 1998
- Do not get depressed life with hepatitis B infection can be healthy and wonderful
- Do not get depressed life with hepatitis C infection can be healthy and wonderful
(Recitation Source: Scopus, Date: 27 May 2010)
- Mujeeb, S.A., Pearce, M.S. Temporal trends in hepatitis B and C infection in family blood donors from interior Sindh, Pakistan, Year 2008, BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 8
- Qureshi, H., Arif, A., Ahmed, W., Alam, S.E., Mujeeb, S.A., Ul Haq, N., Hafiz, S. Role of interferon anti body in predicting the response to interferon therapy in HCV patients, 2007, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 57 (12): 581
- Mujeeb, S.A., Jaffery, S.H. Emergency blood transfusion services after the 2005 earthquake in Pakistan, 2007 Emergency Medicine Journal, vol. 24 (1): 22
- Mujeeb, S.A., Nanan, D., Sabir, S., Altaf, A., Kadir, M. Hepatitis B and C infection in first-time blood donors in Karachi - A possible subgroup for sentinel surveillance, 2006, Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 12 (6): 735
- Zargar, S.A., Javid, G., Khan, B.A., Yattoo, G.N., Shah, A.H., Gulzar, G.M., Sodhi, J.S., Mujeeb, S.A., Khan, M.A., Shah, N.A., Shafi, H.M. Pantoprazole infusion as adjuvant therapy to endoscopic treatment in patients with peptic ulcer bleeding: Prospective randomized controlled trial, 2006, Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 21 (4): 716
- Mujeeb, S.A., Luby, S.P., Agboatwalla, M. Handwashing promotion and childhood diarrhea in Pakistan  (multiple letters), 2004, Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292 (14): 1682
- Shah, S.A., Altaf, A., Mujeeb, S.A., Memon, A. An outbreak of HIV infection among injection drug users in a small town in Pakistan: Potential for national implications , 2004, International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 15 (3): 209
- Fielder, J.F., Gribble, R.K., Mujeeb, S.A., Altaf, A., Reynolds, S.J., Quinn, T.C., Bollinger, R.C. The AIDS pandemic  (multiple letters), 2003, New England Journal of Medicine 349, vol. 8: 814
- Mujeeb, S.A., Altaf, A. The AIDS pandemic., 2003, The New England journal of medicine, vol. 349 (8): 814
- Mujeeb, S.A., Altaf, A. Let it be sexual: Health care transmission of AIDS in Africa was ignored , 2003, International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 14 (8): 572
- Shah, S.A., Mujeeb, S.A., Mirza, A., Nabi, K.G., Siddiqui, Q. Prevalence of pulmonary tuberculosis in Karachi juvenile jail, Pakistan, 2003, Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 9 (4): 667
- Mujeeb, S.A., Khan, A., Korejo, R. Hepatitis B serum markers among pregnant women in Sana'a, Yemen , 2003, Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 23 40241, recitation: 232
- Mujeeb, S.A., Adil, M.M., Altaf, A., Hutin, Y., Luby, S. Recycling of injection equipment in Pakistan, 2003, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol. 24 (2): 145
- Mujeeb, S.A., Adil, M.M., Altaf, A., Shah, S.A., Luby, S. Infection control practices in clinical laboratories in Pakistan, 2003, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol. 24 (2): 141
- Qureshi, H., Ahsan, T., Mujeeb, S.A., Jawad, F., Mehdi, I., Ahmed, W., Alam, S.E. Diabetes mellitus is equally frequent in chronic HCV and HBV infection., 2002, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 52 (7): 280
- Altaf, A., Mujeeb, S.A. Unsafe disposal of medical waste: a threat to the community and environment., 2002, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 52 (6): 232
- Ansari, N., Ahmed, A., Esmail, J., Mujeeb, S.A. HCV serotypes in Karachi: A liaquat national hospital experience, 2002, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 52 (5): 219
- Mujeeb, S.A. HCV 3 in Pakistan: does it offer more hope for cure and control., 2002, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 52 (5): 191
- Mujeeb, S.A., Luby, S., Khan, A.J., Altaf, A., Hutin, Y., Aslam, M. Regarding "seroprevalence of the antibody to hepatitis C in select groups in the Punjab Region of Pakistan"  (multiple letters), 2002, Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 35 (2): 201
- Mujeeb, S.A. An audit of blood crossmatch ordering practices at the Aga Khan University Hospital: first step towards a maximum surgical blood ordering schedule (MSBOS)., 2001, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 51 (10): 379
- Luby, S.P., Niazt, Q., Siddiquit, S., Mujeeb, S.A., Fisher-Hoch, S. Patients' perceptions of blood transfusion risks in Karachi, Pakistan, 2001, International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 5 (1): 24
- Mujeeb, S.A. Erratum: Geographical display of health information: Study of hepatitis C infection in Karachi, Pakistan' (Public Health (2000) vol. 114 (413-415), 2001, Public Health 115 1 82
- Mujeeb, S.A. Unsafe injections: a potential source of HCV spread in Pakistan., 2001, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 51 (1): 1
- Mujeeb, S.A., Shahab, S., Hyder, A.A. Geographical display of health information: Study of hepatitis C infection in Karachi, Pakistan, 2000, Public Health 114, vol. 5: 413
- Qureshi, H., Shahid, A., Mujeeb, S.A. Exposer rate of hepatitis E (IgG) in a selected population of children and adults in Karachi, 2000, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 50 (10): 352
- Luby, S., Khanani, R., Zia, M., Vellani, Z., Ali, M., Qureshi, A.H., Khan, A.J., Mujeeb, S.A., Shah, S.A., Fisher-Hoch, S. Evaluation of blood bank practices in Karachi, Pakistan, and the government's response, 2000, Health Policy and Planning 15, vol. 2 217
- Baqi, S., Shah, S.A., Baig, M.A., Mujeeb, S.A., Memon, A. Seroprevalence of HIV, HBV and syphilis and associated risk behaviours in male transvestites (Hijras) in Karaehi, Pakistan, 1999, International Journal of STD and AIDS 10, vol. 5 300
- Mujeeb, S.A., Hafiz, A. Low-cost screening of blood for HCV infection in the developing world., 1998, Vox sanguinis, vol. 74 (3): 210, recitation: 4
- Mujeeb, S.A., Khatri, Y., Khanani, R. Frequency of parenteral exposure and seroprevalence of HBV, HCV, and HIV among operation room personnel, 1998, Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 38 (2): 133
- Mujeeb, S.A., Shiekh, M.A., Khanani, R., Jamal, Q. Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection among Î²-thalassaemia major patients, 1997, Tropical Doctor, vol. 27 (2): 105
- Mujeeb, S.A., Jamal, Q., Khanani, R., Iqbal, N., Kaher, S. Prevalence of hepatitis B surface antigen and HCV antibodies in hepatocellular carcinoma cases in Karachi, Pakistan, 1997, Tropical Doctor, vol. 27 (1): 45
- Mujeeb, S.A., Mehmood, K. Prevalence of HBV, HCV and HIV infections among family blood donors, 1996, Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 16 (6): 702
- Kazi, B.M., Toor, Z.I., Ali, S.M., Iqbal, J., Asif, A., Yousaf, Z., Haroona, Ahmed, I., Rashid, S.A., Shah, S.A., Mujeeb, S.A., Sumroo, M., Kazi, F.G., Sadiq, M., Haleem, M., Ahmed, N., Sheikh, N.S., Rashi, Z.I., Nathoneil, E., et, al. HIV seroprevalence surveys in Pakistan , 1996, AIDS, vol. 10 (8): 926
- Mujeeb, S.A., Shiekh, M.A. Prevalence of hepatitis B infection in beta thalassaemia major patients., 1996, JPMA. The Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 46 (4): 93
- Mujeeb, S.A., Kayani, N., Khurshid, M. HIV-I infection in a family blood donor., 1995, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 45 (1): 26
- Mujeeb, S.A., Keher, S.I. Hepatitis B vaccination, 1995, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 45 (7): 196
- Mujeeb, S.A., Shaikh, M.A., Kehar, S.I. Prevalence of HB infection in haemodialysis patients., 1994, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 44 (9): 226
- Mujeeb, S.A., Hussain, W., Haq, A. Prevalence of hepatitis B infection in professional and family/voluntary blood donors., 1994, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 44 (9): 226
- Thomas, A., Ganesan, A., Mujeeb, S.A. Solar irradiance monitor, 1993, Renewable Energy, vol. 3 40336 599
- Mujeeb, S.A., Hafeez, A. Prevalence and pattern of HIV infection in Karachi., 1993, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 43 (1): 2
- Mujeeb, S.A. Blood transfusion—a potential source of HIV/AIDS spread., 1993, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 43 (1): 1
- Mujeeb, S.A., Khanani, M.R., Khursheed, T., Siddiqui, A. Prevalence of HIV-infection among blood donors., 1991, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 41 (10): 253
- Mujeeb, S.A., Siddiqui, S., Khursheed, T., Hashmi, M.R. Weakening of antigen D and development of anti-D in a patient with acute myeloid leukaemia., 1989, Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 39 (12): 324
In 1986, a small hospital based blood bank, relying entirely on commercial blood donors has grown into major hospital based blood bank in the country. The key of success lies in innovative approach of public and private sector partnership in blood banking sector.
- 1986. Establishment of first AIDS Screening Center in the Blood Bank in the Country of Pakistan.
- 1993. Regular screening of blood for hepatitis C infection, besides hepatitis B and HIV/AIDS
- 1994. Complete elimination of commercial blood donations from the services
- 1994. Preparation and supply of blood products
- 1997. Awarding membership in Sindh Blood Transfusion Authority by Provincial Assembly of Sindh in the safe blood transfusion act.
- 1998. Collaboration with National Reference Laboratory Australia for quality assurance program for HIV, HBV, and HCV testing.
- 2003. Screening of blood for Malaria and syphilis
- 2004. Complete renovation of Blood Bank Department.
- Pride of Performance, Presidential Civil Award, 14 August. 2007
- Performance Award, Voluntary Blood Donation, Sindh Blood Transfusion Authority, Government of Sindh, 2005
- Appreciation Award (AIDS), Mian Ahmed Soomro, Governor of Sindh, Pakistan
- Appreciation Award (Blood Transfusion), Dr. Ishrat-ul-Ibad, Governor of Sindh, Pakistan
- "Pakistan Biological Safety Association".
- Syed Abdul Mujeeb and Shouket Ali. Human rights violations of People living with HIV/AIDS by their family members Human rights violations of PLWA/HIV by their family members
- "Cipla Corporate Office, Kurkumbh, Pune".