Sylosis live at Sonisphere 2010.
|Origin||Reading, Berkshire, England|
|Labels||Nuclear Blast Records|
|Past members||Jamie Graham
Formation and Conclusion of an Age (2000–2009)
Sylosis was formed in 2000 by Josh Middleton (guitar) and Carl Parnell (bass) who began playing extreme metal with other friends from school. Over the years they went through various lineup changes, playing only a few gigs due to the members being unable to drive and being in school and also due to the fact that there was no underground metal scene at the time. Sylosis released a couple of EPs in the UK on a small indie label, In at the Deep End Records. In December 2007 Sylosis signed with Nuclear Blast Records, and they released their debut album in October 2008.
On the style of their debut album, Conclusion of an Age, lead guitarist Josh Middleton remarked, "The foundation of our sound is modern metalcore. We always downtune and play breakdowns. We like to incorporate lots of different metal styles and textures into our music. We like to make all of our songs really epic. We like progressive stuff like Dragonforce, brutal stuff like Emmure and melodic stuff like Black Veil Brides." After recording their debut studio album, guitarist Gurneet Ahluwalia was replaced by ex-Viatrophy guitarist Alex Bailey, ready for the early 2009 European tour with The Black Dahlia Murder, Cephalic Carnage and Psycroptic.
Sylosis were one of the opening acts on the Tuborg (third) stage at Download Festival held at Castle Donington, along with appearances at the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival, and an opening slot on the Bohemia stage at Sonisphere Festival. A UK headline tour has been announced for October/November 2009, but was cancelled as the band were offered an opening slot on the Dragonforce UK tour in November/December 2009.
2010 Tours (2010)
Sylosis replaced Rise to Remain during the UK leg of As I Lay Dying's European tour in 2010.
Edge of the Earth, Monolith and recent events (2010-present)
Sylosis entered the studio in 2010 to record their second full-length studio album, entitled Edge of the Earth; it was released in March 2011.
They recorded a third studio album titled Monolith with Romesh Dodangoda in Wales at Monnow Valley Studio. Monolith was released on 5 October 2012 in Germany, 8 October 2012 in UK & Europe, 9 October 2012 in USA, and 10 October 2012 in Japan via Nuclear Blast Records. Since January 2013 the band have headlined a UK tour as well featuring on the Soundwave Fesitval in Australia. They also carried out a tour with the bands Hellyeah, In Flames and, headliner Lamb of God in late 2012. The band has a main supporting role on a tour with Killswitch Engage in Europe during April and May 2013. Sylosis was announced as the opening band for the Trivium and Devildriver North American co-headline tour with After the Burial as another supporting band. The tour was scheduled for October and November.
- Josh Middleton – lead guitar (2000–present), lead vocals (2010–present)
- Carl Parnell – bass guitar
- Alex Bailey – rhythm guitar (2008–present)
- Rob Callard - Drums
- Jamie Graham (Heart of a Coward) – lead vocals
- Chris Steele (Exit Ten) – Drums
- Ben Hollyer (Jor, October File) – Vocals
- Adam Mayes (Viatrophy) – Vocals (fill in for tour)
- Gurneet Ahluwalia (Viatrophy) – Guitar
- Dan Peirce (Viatrophy, Chapters) – Vocals
- Glen Chamberlain – Vocals
- Richard Zananiri – Guitar
- Dave Anderson – Vocals
- Jay Colios-Terry – Drums
- Brandon Ellis (Touring Member)
- Conclusion of an Age (Nuclear Blast, 2008)
- Edge of the Earth (Nuclear Blast, 2011); UK chart peak: No. 139
- Monolith (Nuclear Blast, 2012)
- Sylosis Live At High Voltage (2011)
- Slings And Arrows (Digital release, 2012)
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Artist Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Henderson, Alex. "Conclusion of an Age review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- Exclusive Interview with Sylosis guitarist Josh Midleton | Metal Sucks
- Describe the sound of Conclusion Of An Age. http://heavymetal.about.com/od/interviews/a/sylosis.htm
- Sylosis: New Album Details Revealed blabbermouth.net. 22 June 2012. Retrieved on 23 June 2012.
- By MetalSucks. "Exclusive Full-Album Stream: Sylosis' Monolith". MetalSucks. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- *Please enter your name. (2013-09-26). "Sylosis Frontman Offers Update on Band's RV Crash Injuries". Loudwire.com. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- "CHART: CLUK Update 26.03.2011 (wk11)". www.zobbel.de. 26 March 2011. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sylosis.|