Sylvania Township, Lucas County, Ohio
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007)|
|Sylvania Township, Lucas County, Ohio|
|— Township —|
|• Total||28.5 sq mi (73.7 km2)|
|• Land||28.4 sq mi (73.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||669 ft (204 m)|
|• Density||1,709/sq mi (659.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086536|
Sylvania Township is one of the eleven townships of Lucas County, Ohio, United States. As of 2010, the total population was 48,487, making it the second most populous county subdivision of Lucas County, as well as the third most populous in all of northwest Ohio and the 419 / 567 area codes (behind Toledo and Mansfield). It is the 8th most populous township in Ohio.
The township entirely encompasses the city of Sylvania. Excluding the city of Sylvania, the remainder of the township had a population of 29,522 in 2010. The township government is under direction of a 3-member Board of Trustees (elected to staggered 4-year terms), an elected Clerk and a full-time Administrator.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships and municipalities:
- Whiteford Township, Monroe County, Michigan - north
- Toledo - east
- Ottawa Hills - southeast
- Springfield Township - south
- Spencer Township - southwest
- Richfield Township - west
- Riga Township, Lenawee County, Michigan - northwest
The city of Sylvania lies in northern Sylvania Township.
The Ottawa River and Ten Mile Creek both flow through the township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 44,253 people, 9,453 households, and 6,400 families residing in the township. The racial makeup of the township was 93.5% White, 1.7% African American, 0.1% Native American, 2.8% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 0.7% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. 1.9% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 16,640 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.4% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.3% were non-families. 23.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.13. There was a total of 17,297 housing units in the township, of which 657 (3.8%) were vacant.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.9% under the age of 18 and 13.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39.5 years. For every 100 females there were 92.77 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.26 males.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The township has six departments: Administration, Police, Fire, Road, Zoning and Maintenance. Sylvania Township employs 162 people.
Township residents receive water from the City of Sylvania, the City of Toledo or Lucas County depending on where they live.
The following highways are important transportation arteries in Sylvania Township:
- Interstate 475 from Toledo, Ohio to Springfield Township
- U.S. Route 20 Central Avenue (Richfield Township to Reynolds Road), Reynolds Road (Central Avenue to Toledo)
- U.S. Route 23, Whiteford Township, Monroe County, Michigan to Interstate 475, then concurrent with Interstate 475 to Springfield Township
- SR 51 Monroe Street (Toledo to US 23), ends at US 23
- SR 120 Central Avenue (Richfield Township to Ottawa Hills and Toledo)
- SR 184 Alexis Road (Toledo) to Acres Road
- (eastbound) - Acres Road (Alexis Road to Monroe Street), ends at Monroe Street
- (westbound) - Alexis Road (Acres Road to Monroe Street), ends at Monroe Street
Famous residents 
The actress Katie Holmes grew up in Sylvania Township.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Sylvania township, Lucas County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): All County Subdivisions within Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.