||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
Miami Beach, Florida
|Occupation||Jazz musician and recording artist|
Sylvia Brooks (born May 18 in Miami Beach, Florida) is an American jazz musician and recording artist. Her debut album, Dangerous Liaisons, features songs from the Great American Songbook and Jazz Standards Songbook, and was in rotation on over 500 radio stations throughout the United States and Canada.
Born into a musical family, her father, Don Ippolito, was a jazz pianist and arranger, who wrote for the big bands in the United States Army during World War II, and has played with such luminaries as Buddy Rich, Stan Getz and Peggy Lee. Her mother, Johanna Dordick, was an opera singer, who founded the Los Angeles Opera Theatre in Los Angeles, and under her artistic direction, produced six seasons of opera. A classically trained actress, Sylvia Brooks studied at The American Conservatory Theatre in San Francisco, under the direction of Bill Ball and Allen Flecher. She currently resides in Los Angeles.
She has collaborated with Thomas Garvin, Kim Bullard, Kim Richmond, Jeff Colella, Rich Eames, Chris Colangelo, Kendall Kay, Jamie Havorka, Alex Budman and Brian Kilgore. She played Dorothy Brock in 42nd Street at the Theatre Under The Stars in Houston, Texas, and the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle, Washington and has acted on television in Designing Women, Dallas, Mama & Son, Baywatch, and Beverly Hills 90210, and was featured on the Guns and Roses video Patience.
Her second album, Restless, released in May 2012, is a collaboration with Kim Richmond, and Rich Eames, exploring the darker side of jazz she calls Jazz Noir. Restless has been named on numerous Top Ten Lists including WUHN, CHMR, CKXU, WWSU, WUMF, WMXM, KEUL, WONC, WERU, and was featured on Gone Fishin, in Kobe, Japan, as well as KPOO in San Francisco, the first black owned station on the West Coast.
- Round Midnight - 2012 - Written by Thelonious Monk, Cootie Williams and Bernie Hanighen.
- Boulevard of Broken Dreams" -2012- Written by A. Dubin and H. Warren.
- You Go To My Head - - Written by H. Gillespie and J.F. Coots.
- Trouble" - 2012 - Written by Karin Bergguist.
- Last Tango" - 2012 - Written by Jack Murohy and Frank Wildhorn.
- Be Cool" - 2012 - Written by Joni Mitchell.
- Blue Alert" - 2012 - Written by Leonard Cohen and Anjani Thomas.
- Blues In The Night" - 2012 - Written by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer.
- You're My Thrill" - 2012 - Written by Jay Gorney and Sidney Clare.
- Stormy Weather - 2012 - Written by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler.
- I'm A Fool To Want You - 2012 - Written by Frank Sinatra, Joel S. Herron and Jack Wolf.
- Come Rain Or Come Shine" - 2009 - Written by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer.
- Never Dance - 2009 - Written by Frank Wildhorn and Jack Murphy.
- Harlem Nocturne" - 2009 - Written by Earl Hagen, lyrics by Dick Rogers.
- Sway" - 2009 - Written by Pablo Beltran Ruiz and Norman Gimble.
- Cry Me A River" - 2009 - Written by Arthur Hamilton.
- Sophisticated Lady" - 2009 - Written by Duke Ellington and Irving Mills.
- When The Sun Comes Out" - 2009 - Written by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler.
- Lush Life" - 2009 - Written by Billy Strayhorn.
- The Man That Got Away - 2009 - Written by Harold Arlen and Ira Gershwin.
- One For My Baby" - 2009 - Written by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer.
- Buddy Rich
- Stan Getz
- Peggy Lee
- Theatre Under The Stars (Houston)
- 5th Avenue Theatre
- IMDB name|0112268
- http://www.wunh.org/ http://www.mun.ca/chmr/main.html http://www.ckxu.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWSU http://www2.umf.maine.edu/wumf/ http://wmxm.org/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KEUL http://www.wonc.org/ https://weru.org/