Sylvia Rivera Law Project
The Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) is a legal aid organization based in New York City at The Miss Major-Jay Toole Building for Social Justice that serves transgender, intersex and gender non-conforming people. The organization was formed in August 2002 by attorney and transgender civil rights activist, Dean Spade. The project was named for Sylvia Rivera, a transgender activist and veteran of the 1969 Stonewall Riots, who died the same year that SRLP was formed.
The project has released this mission station:
- "The Sylvia Rivera Law Project works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine their gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination, or violence. SRLP is a collective organization founded on the understanding that gender self-determination is inextricably intertwined with racial, social and economic justice. Therefore, we seek to increase the political voice and visibility of low-income people of color who are transgender, intersex, or gender non-conforming. SRLP works to improve access to respectful and affirming social, health, and legal services for our communities. We believe that in order to create meaningful political participation and leadership, we must have access to basic means of survival and safety from violence."
The goals of the organization are to provide access to legal services for low-income transgender, intersex, and gender non-conforming people, provide public education and policy reform to end state-sanctioned discrimination on the basis of gender identity and expression. The organization also aims to build a collective organization that develops the leadership of low-income transgender, intersex, and gender non-conforming people of color while participating in the larger movement for racial, social, and economic justice.
Areas of Work
- LGBT rights in the United States
- List of LGBT rights organizations
- List of transgender-related topics
- The New York Foundation
- "Who was Sylvia Rivera? | SRLP (Sylvia Rivera Law Project)". SRLP. 2002-02-26. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "About | SRLP (Sylvia Rivera Law Project)". SRLP. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- von Zielbauer, Paul (30 December 2005), "New York Set to Close Jail Unit for Gays", New York Times, retrieved 2008-11-13
- Dotinga, Randy (29 November 2006), "Sex Change, No Surgery Required", Wired, retrieved 2008-11-13
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender-related organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|