Symantec Endpoint Protection
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (November 2012)|
Symantec Endpoint Protection 11
|Stable release||12.1.4100.4126 (Release), RU4 MP1 / 03 April 2014|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux|
|Platform||IA-32 and x86-64|
|Type||Antivirus and personal firewall|
Symantec Endpoint Protection, developed by Symantec Corporation, is an antivirus and personal firewall product leveled at centrally managed corporate environments security for servers and workstations.
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition was the previous offering from Symantec in this market. The last version of that was version 10.2.4 (10.2 MP1).
- Version 11, September 2007 - the initial Symantec Endpoint Protection version.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition, April 2009 of Symantec Endpoint Protection, (version 11), was released in
- Version 12.1, July 2011
- Version 12.1 RU1, 17 November 2011
- Version 12.1 RU1 MP1, 08 May 2012
- Version 12.1 RU2, 15 November 2012 
- Version 12.1 RU2 MP1 09 April 2013
- Version 12.1 RU3, 06 June 2013 
- Version 12.1 RU4, 05 November 2013
- Version 12.1 RU4a 21 February 2014
- Version 12.1 RU4 MP1 03 April 2014
- Version 12.1 RU4 MP1a 17 April 2014 
Endpoint supports Windows 8.1 & Windows Server 2012 R2 (Since 12.1.4013.4013), Windows 8 & Windows Server 2012 (Since 12.1.2015.2015), Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP1 or higher, and Windows 2000 - and several distributions of Linux. 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 are supported, but not Itanium processors.
- Endpoint incorporates a rules-based firewall, as well as an anti-malware technique that Symantec calls "generic exploit blocking". The firewall is based on technology developed by Sygate Technologies, who were purchased by Symantec. Generic exploit blocking is a technique that proactively blocks malware from exploiting unpatched vulnerabilities.
- Proactive protection
- Endpoint uses Symantec's TruScan technologies to facilitate detection of unknown malware. It analyzes both "safe" and "negative" behaviors of unknown applications. It also integrates Symantec's Deepsight honeypot sensors to warn of emerging threats and provide threat advisories. Proactive Threat Protection feature is supported on server operating systems in version 12.1 and above.
- Intrusion prevention
- Endpoint is able to create and enforce rules on client computers. For example, it can prevent clients from writing files to a USB flash drive. Intrusion prevention also work as IDS. Policies are enforced by TruScan. The IPS functionality acts as a first line of defence against network based attacks.
- "Symantec Endpoint Protection - Changelog". Symantec. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Symantec Endpoint Protection". Symantec.com. 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Latest Symantec Endpoint Protection Released - SEP 12.1 RU2 and SEP 11.0 RU7 MP3". Symantec.com. 2012-11-15. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "Latest Symantec Endpoint Protection Released - SEP 12.1.RU3". Symantec.com. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Release Update 4 Maintenance Patch 1A". symantec.com.
- "Symantec Endpoint Protection". Symantec.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Data Sheet: Endpoint Security" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Ramon Ray (2007-12-30). "How Symantec Is Changing to Better Meet Small Business Needs". Smallbiztechnology.com. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Enpoint Security White Paper" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Sarrel, Matthew (2007-12-13). "Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 Review & Rating". PCMag.com. Retrieved 2011-10-18.