|This article is outdated. (September 2014)|
||This article is incomplete. (September 2014)|
LiveUpdate running in Norton Internet Security 2012
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X|
Norton LiveUpdate is an application developed by Symantec Corporation that downloads and installs security updates (such as spyware, firewall, or antivirus signature files) and software patches. LiveUpdate can only apply updates for a particular version of Norton; it cannot however upgrade a version of Norton to a later version (for example Norton Internet Security 2006 to 2009). To upgrade the product to the latest version, one would have to go to a separate website.
In the past, Norton LiveUpdate was separate software that is installed with all Symantec products. However, with all Norton products since 2009, it is an integrated part of the Norton product.
LiveUpdate first shipped in the 1997 version of Norton AntiVirus 2.0 and soon followed in other products. It was created by the Shared Technology Team at the company's Cupertino headquarters and later taken over by the Norton team. Symantec holds at least one patent related to LiveUpdate Use of Polymorphic Package Files To Update Software.
How it works
A valid subscription is required to use Symantec LiveUpdate. Symantec LiveUpdate can be run in Interactive Mode or in Express Mode. In Interactive mode, users decide which updates to download and apply. Express mode will download and apply all applicable updates. LiveUpdate also runs in Express mode silently in the background. Once all updates are downloaded, Symantec LiveUpdate will begin the process of installing them. If a restart is required, LiveUpdate will notify the user. Users can restart within the LiveUpdate interface.
Intelligent Updater is an alternate delivery method for virus definitions, which consists of an executable file that can be downloaded and run manually. It is used to update virus definitions only. To install other updates a user must run LiveUpdate.
Norton 2008 and previous versions include a separate LiveUpdate component, which must be separately uninstalled, or removed using the Norton Removal Tool. Norton 2009 and later versions do not bundle a separate LiveUpdate component.
- "Is LiveUpdate Notice a Symantec product?". Symantec Corporation. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "The Norton Update Center". Symantec Corporation. Retrieved 2009-03-18.
- "Is LiveUpdate Notice a Symantec product?". Symantec Corporation. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "Virus Definitions & Security Updates". Symantec Corporation. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "How to update virus definitions and other content for Symantec antivirus products". Symantec Cooperation. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- PCWorld "How to update virus definitions and other content for Symantec antivirus products". Symantec Cooperation. Retrieved 2009-05-08.