Symphony for the Devil (Witchery album)
|Symphony For The Devil|
|Studio album by Witchery|
|Released||24 September 2001|
|Recorded||Berno Studio, Sweden, February 2001|
Original release NecropolisReissue Music For Nations/Sony BMG
|Producer||Witchery and Berno Paulson|
Symphony For The Devil is Witchery's third full-length studio album after Restless & Dead in 1998 and Dead, Hot And Ready in 1999. "Symphony..." was released in 2001 (see 2001 in music) and has received underground acclaim from metal fanzines and webzines. The album continues in the style of previous Witchery releases, with thrash metal riffing and solos, but with a black and death metal influence. This album sees Martin Axe of Opeth on drums, after the departure of Mique. The reissue of the album in 2007 uses slightly different cover art.
Since most of the music and lyrics on the album are written by Jensen, much of the album is similar in sound to his main band, The Haunted. This involves fast paced thrash riffing with melodic solos in most of the songs, though there is very little evidence of the Gothenburg sound in "Symphony..." unlike The Haunted. Jensen (guitar), Toxine (vocals) and Martin Axe (drums) all previously played in Satanic Slaughter and Toxine, Jensen and Richard Corpse (guitar) were in Seance. This leaves only Sharlee D'Angelo (bass) of Arch Enemy fame, who has no previous experience with other band members.
Given each musician's other projects, the tight and attacking sound of "Symphony..." is unsurprising. The lyrics include topics such as black magic, death and the occult, similar to the themes explored in Witchery's first three releases and also those of Satanic Slaughter and Seance.
All music and lyrics written by Jensen unless otherwise stated.
- "The Storm" - 3:34
- "Unholy Wars" - 3:12 (music by Jensen/Corpse)
- "Inquisition" - 3:57
- "Omens" - 4:30
- "Bone Mill" - 2:41
- "None Buried Deeper..." - 3:58
- "Wicked" - 2:59
- "Called For By Death" - 4:58
- "Hearse Of The Pharoahs" - 5:07
- "Shallow Grave" - 4:24 (music by Jensen/Corpse)
- "Enshrined"* - 4:15 (music by Jensen/Corpse, lyrics by D'Angelo/Toxine)
- "The One Within"* - 3:14 (music by Jensen/Toxine, lyrics by D'Angelo/Toxine)
Tracks marked with a * do not appear on all versions of "Symphony..."
The Japanese edition (TFCK-87249) contains the same tracks but "Enshrined" is track 6, "None Buried Deeper..." is track 7, "Wicked" is track 8, "Called For By Death" is track 9, "The One Within" is track 10, "Hearse Of The Pharoahs" is track 11 and "Shallow Grave" is track 12.
- Toxine - vocals
- Jensen - rhythm guitar (written as "riffguitar" in the album notes)
- Richard Corpse - lead guitar (written as "sologuitar")
- Sharlee D'Angelo - bass (written as "Bassguitar")
- Martin Axe - drums
- The Metal Crypt - Witchery - Symphony For The Devil. 2010-01-07
- Encyclopaedia Metallum - Witchery (Swe). 2010-01-07