From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Symphyseal)
|Diagrammatic section of a symphysis.|
|Gray's||subject #70 285|
- A symphysis is an amphiarthrosis, a slightly movable joint.
- A growing together of parts or structures
The more prominent symphyses are:
- the pubic symphysis
- the symphyses between the bones of the skull, a common misperception about the mandible is that the (symphysis menti) (chin) is a symphyseal joint. This is a misnomer as the two halves of the mandible formed from the mandibular arch mesoderm are fused early in life and ossify to form one single bone
- sacrococcygeal symphysis
- intervertebral disc between two vertebrae
- in the sternum, between the manubrium and body, and between the body and xiphoid process
- "Module - Introduction to Joints". Retrieved 2008-01-29.
|This musculoskeletal system article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|