|Type||Indie Game Technology Development|
|Industry||Video game industry|
|Headquarters||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Products||Torque Lighting Kit (2003-2008)
SunBurn XNA Game Engine (2008-present)
Salty Jim's Putt Putt Island (2010-present)
Synapse Gaming is a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania based video game engine developer. It is best known for lighting and rendering technology, integrated into the SunBurn XNA Game Engine and previously, Garage Games' Torque Lighting Kit.
Synapse Gaming's interest in and development of lighting, rendering, and other elements of game technology have enabled independent game developers to create games with visuals that can compete with AAA title releases. It was started by John Kabus, initially working in partnership with Garage Games. Garage Games released the following products with Synapse Gaming's lighting and rendering technology in them:
- Torque Lighting Pack (2003)
- Torque Lighting Kit (2004)
- Torque Shader Engine (2006)
- SunBurn Lighting and Rendering Engine (2008)
- Salty Jim's Putt Putt Island (2010)
- SunBurn XNA Game Engine (2011)
Microsoft recognizes Synapse Gaming as an official partner, and App Hub members receive discounts. In 2010, Synapse Gaming released a mobile mini-golf video game for Windows Phone 7 called "Salty Jim's Putt Putt Island."
- McDermott, Wes (2009). "Creating Real-time Assets". Real-world modo: in the trenches with modo. Focus Press. pp. 291–292. ISBN 978-0-240-81199-4.
- .Microsoft XNA partners.