Synodal Department for Church Charity and Social Ministry
Synodal Department for Church Charity and Social Ministry of Russian Orthodox Church (Russian: Синодальный отдел по церковной благотворительности и социальному служению) is one of Synodal Departments of Moscow Patriarchate. It was established by the Decree of His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexius II and the Enactment of The Holy Synod in 1991.
Since March 5, 2010 Bishop Panteleimon (Shatov) has become chairman of the Department.
Department's activity directions:
- Coordination and assistance in the work of Church Social initiatives in all the dioceses;
- Development and implementation of effective methods for helping all the categories of the needy, taking into account historic and spiritual traditions of Orthodoxy;
- Ideas popularization concerning one’s personal participation in acts of mercy, attracting attention to the needs of deprived people; involvement of a wider circle of people and organizations;
- Creation of Church volunteer movement of mercy;
- Creation of Church programs for attracting alms to Church social projects.
The Department consists of:
- Social ministry sector
- Medical sector
- Sector dealing with refugees and emergency cases
- Sector dealing with dioceses’ relations
- Sector dealing with public relations
- Metropolitan Sergius (Fomin) (January 31, 1991 — March 5, 2010)
- Bishop Panteleimon (Shatov) (since March 5, 2010)