Syntus bv is a public transport company operating bus and passenger train services in the Netherlands. It's headquartered in Deventer. Since 2012 Syntus is a subsidiary of the French Keolis (a SNCF subsidiary of 70% and the rest, 30% is part of Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec). Originally Syntus stands for Synergy between Train and Bus.
In 1991 GSM and the Dutch Railways started a transport integration project called Integratie Gelderland Oost (IGO). Integration between train and bus was the main goal.
Syntus mainly successes: GSM (Geldersche Streekvervoer Maatschappij), which merged with GVA (Gemeentelijk Vervoerbedrijf Arnhem) and rebranded into GVM (Gelderse Vervoersmaatschappij).
Connexxion, NS and Keolis founded Syntus. In 2007 Connexxion announced that they would sell their shares to NS and Keolis.
As of 2012 Syntus faces major financial problems due to the fast growth of the company and a miscalculation in the Veluwe tender. Syntus suffered a loss of 5 million euro. CEO Kees Anker guards Syntus from going bankrupt. In August 2013 shareholders NS and Keolis made a deal. NS sold all of its shares to Keolis.
In 2013 Syntus headquarters moved from Doetinchem to Deventer.
Syntus propagates synergy, which is based on a so-called 'visgraatmodel' (fish bone model). In this model train service represent the backbones. Bus services represent the spokes that feed train services. After a while other public transport companies like Arriva and Veolia copied the model.
- Syntus provides public transport in three regions: Gelderland, Overijssel and Twente.
- Syntus uses electronic cards in buses en trains (OV-Chipkaart), which replace regular paper tickets.
The corporate identity consists of the colors yellow/white/blue. Every region has its own identity incorporated in the corporate identity.