||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
Synyster Gates live in Norway,Bergen in 2011
|Birth name||Brian Elwin Haner, Jr.|
|Also known as||Synyster Gates, Syn|
July 7, 1981 |
Huntingtion Beach, California, United States
|Genres||Heavy metal, hard rock|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, piano|
|Labels||Good Life Recordings, Hopeless, Warner Bros., Bucktan|
|Associated acts||Avenged Sevenfold, Pinkly Smooth, AxeWound|
|Schecter Synyster Custom|
Brian Elwin Haner, Jr. (born July 7, 1981), better known by his stage name Synyster Gates or simply Syn, is an American musician, best known for being the lead guitarist of the band Avenged Sevenfold. He has appeared with many different styles of his Schecter guitar, however he tends to use his black with white pinstripes.
Early life 
He studied at the Musicians Institute in Hollywood as part of the Guitar Institute of Technology program, studying jazz and classical guitar. After a year or so of being there, he got a phone call from The Rev asking him if he wanted to join his band, as lead guitarist. Haner joined rather than continuing his education to become a studio musician. Up until that time he was primarily self-taught by watching music videos and reading books. His father, Brian Haner/Brian Haner, Sr., also known as "Guitar Guy," is a songwriter, guitarist and comedian. Gates is of Spanish and German ancestry.
Avenged Sevenfold 
Gates joined Avenged Sevenfold together with his best friend, The Rev, when they were 18 in 1999, right after the recording of the band's first album, Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. He was featured on the EP Warmness on the Soul which contains select songs from the first album as well as Synyster's new version of "To End The Rapture". His name on Avenged Sevenfold's debut album was "Synyster Gates", M. Shadows on the album was simply "Shadows".
Gates became the band's lead guitarist. Since Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, the band has released 4 studio albums: Waking the Fallen, City of Evil, Avenged Sevenfold, Nightmare and a live DVD/CD Live in the LBC & Diamonds in the Rough.
Synyster Gates plays piano in tracks "I Won't See You Tonight part 1", "Beast and the Harlot" and "Sidewinder".
In the Avenged Sevenfold Special Edition of Revolver magazine that was released the same day as the Nightmare album, Gates stated that he originally started out writing the song "So Far Away" in honor of his grandfather. However, the song is now primarily about Gates' former band mate, The Rev, who died in December 2009. On April 20, 2011, Gates won the Revolver Golden God award for Best Guitarist along with band mate, Zacky Vengeance. Avenged Sevenfold picked up numerous other awards and delivered the headlining performance of the night.
Pinkly Smooth 
Haner, along with The Rev, played in an avant-garde metal band named Pinkly Smooth. Formed in the summer of 2001 in Huntington Beach, California, the band featured ex-Ballistico members Buck Silverspur on bass and D-Rock on drums. The band has released one album, Unfortunate Snort on Bucktan Records, which features a crossover sound of mostly punk, ska and avant-garde. Former Avenged Sevenfold bassist Justin Sane played keyboards and piano on the album. There was speculation that Pinkly Smooth was going to produce another record, but due to the death of The Rev, it is highly unlikely that they will produce any more material. However, Synyster Gates has said that he would consider remastering the tracks from Unfortunate Snort and re-releasing the album.
Featured guest appearances 
- Bleeding Through's "Savior, Saint, Salvation," track (with M. Shadows).
- Good Charlotte's "The River" track and music video (with M. Shadows).
- Burn Halo's "Dirty Little Girl" track and music video.
- Burn Halo's "Anejo" track.
- Brian Haner's "Blow-Up Doll" music video.
- The Jeff Dunham Show intro song (with his father).
- AxeWound's "Vultures" from their debut album of the same name.
- Machine Gun Kelly's "Save Me" from the album Lace Up (with M. Shadows).
Synyster Gates uses mainly Schecter Guitars. Schecter Guitar Research has been sponsoring him and he has signature Avenger models. He has also been seen using ESP guitars when Avenged Sevenfold were recording Waking The Fallen and City Of Evil.
- Schecter Synyster Gates Signature Special model with Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invaders and Sustainiac neck pickup sustainer
- Schecter Synyster Gates Signature Custom models with Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invaders and Sustainiac neck pickup sustainer
- Schecters custom models with Rebel flag, American flag, German flag, Black with Red Stripes, Red with Black Stripes, White with Gold Stripes, White with Black Stripes, one featuring Jack Nicholson's Joker art and color scheme, and one with Tune-O-Matic Bridge.
- Schecter Synyster Gates Custom with "REV" inlays on fret board instead of "SYN" featured on the So Far Away music video
- Schecter Synyster Gates Custom Prototype
- Schecter Synyster Special Prototype
- Schecter Synyster Deluxe Prototype
- Schecter Synyster Special
- Schecter Synyster Deluxe
- Schecter Avenger
- Schecter C-1 Classic - Transparent Blue
- Schecter Custom C-1 FR
- Schecter Omen-6 FR Prototype
- Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
- Schecter PT Fastback
- Schecter S-1 loaded with Seymour Duncan JBs
- Schecter Banshee
- Gibson Les Paul in arctic white, this was used in the video for Unholy Confessions
- Parker Fly
- Ibanez - S Prestige
- Fender - Squier Stratocaster
Amplifiers and effects unit 
He has used Bogner, Marshall, Mesa/Boogie and many more amps in the studio, but until late, has been mostly seen with Bogner live.
- Marshall JCM800 (for Nightmare)
- Krank Distortus Maximus
- Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
- Boss CS-3 Compresser Sustainer(2)
- Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
- Boss BF-3 Flanger
- Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
- Boss GT 8
- Boss GT 10
- Frantone "The Sweet" Distortion
- DigiTech Whammy Pedal
- Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
- Dunlop Crybaby RackWah
- Budda Custom Wah
- MXR Custom Audio Electronics MC-401 Boost Pedal
- MXR Carbon Copy Delay
- MXR Custom Comp
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
- Visual Sound H20 Chorus & Echo
- Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
- Sustainiac Stealth Pro Sustainer
- Bogner Uberschall
- Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet
- Mesa Boogie Rectifier
- Marshall JCM 800
- Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cabinets
- Marshall 4x12 Cabinets
- Schecter hellwin signature head and cabs
- Other Equipment
- Ernie Ball strings, gauged .010-.052. ('skinny top, heavy bottom' strings)
- Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks (as reported in 2010)
- Black Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm picks
- Rebel Straps Skull Bottle Opener Strap (the rebel lighter strap is pictured below)
- Rebel Straps Skull Pick Box Strap
- White Get'm Get'm Sergeant Stripes Guitar Strap
- Black Schaller Strap Locks
- Levy's Boot Leather Guitar Strap With Metal Bullet
- Avenged Sevenfold - Synyster Gates Guitar Gear Rig and Equipment
- Visual Sound - Guitar Effects Pedals, 1 SPOT Pedalboard Power Supplies, and more
- Ernie Ball | Artists