||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
Synyster Gates performing in 2011
|Birth name||Brian Elwin Haner, Jr.|
|Also known as||Synyster Gates, Syn|
July 7, 1981 |
Huntington Beach, California, United States
|Genres||Heavy metal, hard rock, metalcore|
|Instruments||Guitar, drums, piano, vocals|
|Labels||Good Life Recordings, Hopeless, Warner Bros., Bucktan|
|Associated acts||Avenged Sevenfold, Pinkly Smooth, AxeWound|
|Schecter Synyster Custom|
Brian Elwin Haner, Jr. (born July 7, 1981), better known by his stage name Synyster Gates or simply Syn, is an American musician, best known for being the lead guitarist of the band Avenged Sevenfold. He has appeared with many different styles of his custom Schecter guitars, however he tends to use his black with silver pinstripes. Synyster Gates ranked at #87 in Guitar World's "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".
He studied at the Musicians Institute in Los Angeles, California, as part of the Guitar Institute of Music program, studying jazz and classical guitar. After a year or so of being there, he got a call from The Rev asking him if he wanted to "join his band", as lead guitarist. Haner joined rather than continuing his education to become a studio producer. Up until that time he was primarily self-taught by watching videos and reading books. His father, Brian Haner/Brian Haner, Sr., also known as "Guitar Guy," is a songwriter, guitarist and comedian who has toured with Jeff Dunham. Gates is of Spanish and German ancestry.
He was featured on the EP Warmness on the Soul which contains select songs from the first album as well as Synyster's new version of "To End The Rapture". His name on Avenged Sevenfold's debut album was "Synyster Gates".
Gates was voted Sexiest Male in the 2008 Kerrang Readers Poll. In 2010, Guitar World listed Synyster Gates as one of the 30 greatest shredders of all time. They described him as being able to perform finger-twisting licks, acrobatic sweeps, devilish chromatics and towering dual-harmonies. Synyster was chosen as one of Guitar Hero's 50 fastest guitarists. On Guitar World's 2010 Readers Poll, Synyster Gates was chosen Snappiest Dresser and the Best Metal Guitarist. Rock One Magazine's 2010 Readers Poll voted Gates the #3 best musician in the industry. On April 20, 2011, Haner won the Revolver Golden God award for Best Guitarist along with band mate, Zacky Vengeance. Avenged Sevenfold picked up numerous other awards and delivered the headlining performance of the night. In the Special Edition of Revolver magazine that was released the same day as the Nightmare album, Synyster Gates stated that he originally started out writing the song "So Far Away" in honor of his grandfather. However, the song is now primarily about Syn's former band mate, The Rev, who died in December 2009.
Haner, along with The Rev, played in a heavy metal band named Pinkly Smooth. Formed in the summer of 2001 in Huntington Beach, California, the band featured ex-Ballistico members Buck Silverspur on bass and D-Rock on drums. The band has released one album, Unfortunate Snort on Bucktan Records, which features a crossover sound of mostly punk, ska and Progressive metal. Former Avenged Sevenfold bassist Justin Sane played keyboards and piano on the album. There was speculation that Pinkly Smooth was going to produce another record, but due to the death of The Rev, it is highly unlikely that they will produce any more material. However, Brian has said that he would consider remastering the tracks from Unfortunate Snort and re-releasing the album.
With Avenged Sevenfold
- Sounding the Seventh Trumpet (2001)
- Waking the Fallen (2003)
- City of Evil (2005)
- Avenged Sevenfold (2007)
- Live in the LBC & Diamonds in the Rough (2008)
- Nightmare (2010)
- Hail to the King (2013)
With Pinkly Smooth
- Unfortunate Snort (2002)
Featured guest appearances
- Bleeding Through's "Savior, Saint, Salvation," track (with M. Shadows).
- Good Charlotte's "The River" track and music video (with M. Shadows).
- Burn Halo's "Dirty Little Girl" track and music video.
- Burn Halo's "Anejo" track.
- Brian Haner's "Blow-Up Doll" music video.
- The Jeff Dunham Show intro song (with his father).
- AxeWound's "Vultures" from their debut album of the same name.
- MGK's"Save Me" from the album Lace Up (with M. Shadows).
Synyster Gates uses mainly Schecter Guitars. Schecter Guitar Research has been sponsoring him and he has signature Avenger models. He has also been using ESP Guitars when Avenged Sevenfold was recording Waking the Fallen and City of Evil. He has his own Seymour Duncan pickups, a custom SH-8 Invader, with Black, Gold, White or Chrome caps.
- Schecter Synyster Custom-S(Black with White pinstripes, Black with Gold pinstripes, Black with Red pinstripes, White with Gold pinstripes, White with Black pinstripes)
- Schecter custom models with Rebel flag, American flag, German flag, Black with Red Stripes, Red with Black Stripes, White with Gold Stripes, White with Black Stripes, one featuring Jack Nicholson's Joker art and color scheme.
- Schecter Synyster Gates Custom with "REV" inlays on fret board instead of "SYN" featured on the So Far Away music video
- Schecter Synyster Custom
- Schecter Synyster Deluxe Prototype
- Schecter Synyster Special
- Schecter Avenger
- Schecter C-1 Classic - Transparent Blue
- Schecter Custom C-1 FR
- Schecter Omen-6 FR
- Gibson ES-335
- Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR(white, black)
- Schecter Scorpion with Seymour Duncan JBs
- Schecter PT Fastback
- Schecter S-1 loaded with Seymour Duncan JBs
- Gibson Les Paul (arctic white)
- Parker Fly
- Epiphone Rockbass
Amplifiers and effects unit
- Effects unit
- Krank Distortus Maximus
- Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
- Boss CS-3 Compresser Sustainer(2)
- Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
- Boss BF-3 Flanger
- Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
- Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
- Boss GT-10 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
- Frantone "The Sweet" Distortion
- DigiTech Whammy Pedal
- Budda Custom Wah
- MXR Custom Audio Electronics MC-401 Boost Pedal
- MXR Carbon Copy Delay
- MXR Custom Comp
- Visual Sound H20 Chorus & Echo
- Sustainiac Stealth Pro Sustainer pickup
- Dunlop Crybaby RackWah
- Crybaby control pedal for the RackWah
- Fractal Audio Systems Axe-FX II guitar processor
- Fractal Audio Systems MFC-101 Midi Foot Controller
- Bogner Uberschall
- Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
- Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cabinets
- Marshall JVM 205h
- Marshall 1960 4x12 Cabinets
- Schecter Hellwin USA 100W head, Synyster Gates custom amp(released in 2013)
- Schecter Hellwin USA 4x12 Celestion Vintage 30s cabinets
- Audio-Technica 5000 wireless system
- Ernie Ball strings, gauged .010-.052. ('skinny top, heavy bottom' strings)
- Dunlop Gator Grip .96mm picks
- Black Dunlop Gator Grip .96mm picks
- Rebel Straps Skull Bottle Opener Strap
- Rebel Straps Skull Pick Box Strap
- White Get'm Get'm Sergeant Stripes Guitar Strap
- Black Schaller Strap Locks
- Levy's Boot Leather Guitar Strap With Metal Bullet
- Avenged Sevenfold - Synyster Gates Guitar Gear Rig and Equipment
- Visual Sound - Guitar Effects Pedals, 1 SPOT Pedalboard Power Supplies, and more