Syosset High School
|Syosset High School|
"A great place to live, an outstanding place to learn"
|Syosset, New York, United States|
|School district||Syosset Central School District|
|Principal||Dr. Giovanni Durante|
|Grades||9th through 12th|
|Campus size||enrollment = 2,200|
|Color(s)||Red, Black and White|
The school was named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence in 1992–1993. The school district as a whole was also the 2002 winner of the Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education Network and National School Boards Association Award, which honors school districts for excellence in arts education. The school was also named a Grammy Signature for its music programs in orchestra, band and chorus. In 2010 it was rated 14th in the country for music education by the National Association for Music Education. Syosset High School ranked 143rd of 1600+ schools listed in Newsweek's 2010 Best High Schools list. Eleanor Roosevelt was among the first notable people to make a personal appearance in the auditorium.
SHS's publications The Pulse (school newspaper) and Ken (literary magazine) have won many awards. Its Forensics Speech & Debate team has taken home both state and national championships. The school has Model United Nations, Model Congress, and Quiz Bowl teams. In April 2007, the Quiz Bowl won an online national championship. The Science Olympiad Team has also competed at the national level. Syosset's Tri-M Chapter has been named Chapter of the Year numerous times. Syosset's theater club, the Syosset Association of Creative Thespians, (ACT-ITS Troupe 3880), shows one drama, one musical, and one work of Shakespeare per year, as well as many student-directed shows and one-act play SHS offers Advanced Placement courses, a new college level engineering course set up by Stony Brook University available to students in 2011, as well as Syracuse University courses offered through SU Project Advance. Syosset High School has the top-ranked varsity golf team on Long Island. It is one of the few schools on Long Island to give a Russian Regents; Japanese and Latin also have multi-year programs. It has a three-year research program in which students enter competitions such as the Intel Science Talent Search.
In June 2013, Tara Conner, Miss USA 2006, came to talk to graduating seniors about drugs abuse.
Syosset High School has several academic departments which house a wide variety of courses for students to choose from.
- Business Education
- Castle Program
- Driver's Education
- Human Ecology (formerly known as Family and Consumer Sciences)
- Health Education
- Physical Education
- Social Studies
- Special Education
- Theater Arts
- World Language
Syosset High School is a public high school in Syosset, New York that competes in Division C in the Western Long Island Division. The Syosset Science Olympiad team has been competing since 1986, when it qualified and placed at the National Tournament. Over the subsequent 28 years, Syosset Science Olympiad has grown to become a competitive and motivated team, relying on dedication and a team-oriented atmosphere to bring it success. In 2014, Syosset Science Olympiad will serve New York State as the first-ever school to host the Eastern Nassau County Regional competition.
The team has been steadily improving upon the prior years, beginning with a 20th place state finish in 2006 finishing with a 3rd place finish in 2012. In 2013, Syosset Science Olympiad placed 5th at the New York State Competition, ending their upward trend. For 2014, the team is hopeful that its hard work will earn them a spot at the National Tournament at the University of Central Florida.
The Castle Program is designed for students (non-special education) who need a different environment in order to succeed. These students are typically students who have a history of poor class and school attendance. They meet in a separate setting with small class sizes and a close-knit team of teachers who focus on "realistic expectations." Participation in this program is voluntary.
WKWZ, 88.5 FM, is a broadcasting station owned and operated by the Syosset Central School District that operates from 2:30–11:00 pm Monday through Friday. It is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). WPOB broadcasts on the same frequency from 7:00–2:30 from Plainview-Old Bethpage John F. Kennedy High School, and is the sister station to WKWZ. The General Manager is head of the Syosset Film and Radio department, David Favilla, with all other positions (other than General Manager, Station Supervisor and Chief Engineer) operated by students in the school, with positions such as Station Manager(s), Music Director, Sports Director, Traffic Director, Program Director, Community News Director, and Organizational Supervisor(s). The station managers are Nick Fallah and Mike Palladino. The music director is Ben Locke. The sports director of the station is Adam Braunstein.
- The boys varsity golf team were 2010 Long Island champions.[clarification needed (of what?)]
- The football team won the 1976 New York State Championship.
- Under coach Bart Sessa, Syosset High School's boys cross country team won ten back-to-back Nassau County titles from 1996 to 2006.
- On February 5, 2005 athletes Chris Howell, Adam Lampert, Dan Tully and Sean Tully set the national indoor record in the 4 × 800 metres relay. The same team won national championships at the National Scholastic Indoor Championships and Nike Outdoor Nationals and won the 4 × 800 metres relay at the prestigious Penn Relays on April 29, 2005.
- The 1990 Girls Softball team was County Champions, 1990, with Tara Orgon 4 consecutive years as MVP and All County.
- The girls cross country team won back to back Nassau County ti>tles in 2008 and 2009 after winning their conference meet and then placing second at the Nassau County meet by two points in 2007.
- The boys Spring track and field team were 2012 Nassau County Champions. Junior John Aronson was Section AAA State Champion in the shot put.
- The boys Varsity Lacrosse team were Nassau County Champions in '07, '08, '12
- The boys Varisty Lacrosse team were Downstate East/West Champion/LI Champions/Nassau County Champions (08)
- The boys Varsity Soccer team won the Nassau County Finals in 2012
- The boys Cross Country team were 2013 Nassau County Champions.
- The boys Winter track and field team were 2013 Nassau County Champions. The 4x800 Relay attained All American Status.
- The boys Spring track and field team were tied for 2013 Nassau County Champions with Baldwin High School. The 4x800 Relay as well as the DMR attained All American Status at New Balance Nationals.
- Judd Apatow – Screenwriter, director, producer
- Jay Bienstock – Reality television producer
- Sue Bird - Women's National Basketball Association point guard, 3x Olympic champion, 4x All-Star (Seattle Storm)
- Alan S. Blinder – Economist, author, former Vice Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- Elaine Chao – 24th U.S. Secretary of Labor
- Marcus Christopher Coleman - Duke University biomedical engineer, expert in neural engineering
- George Drakoulias - Music Producer.
- Alan Eichler- Theatrical publicist, producer and talent manager.
- Sibel Galindez - Actress
- Paul Ginsparg – Physicist
- Gladstone – Writer, humorist
- Rick Hodes – Medical doctor known for work in the developing world.
- Brenda Howard – political activist
- Michael Isikoff – Newsweek journalist
- Adam Karpel - Reality television producer
- Mitchell Lazar- Physician-scientist
- David Lebow – Media Executive
- Carolyne Mas – Singer-songwriter
- Robert Maschio – Actor, Scrubs
- Idina Menzel – Actress-singer
- David Nesenoff – Rabbi, filmmaker, journalist
- Ed Newman – NFL player
- Dave Ockun – Concert producer
- Adam Pascal – Actor-singer
- Bruce Pecheur – Actor, Model
- William B. Petersen (1977)General Counsel and Secretary Verizon Wireless
- Michael Pollan (1973) – Writer
- Tracy Pollan – Actress
- Natalie Portman – Actress
- Gabe Rotter – Novelist
- Jim Rowinski – NBA player
- Dave Rubin – Comedian, television personality
- John C. Russell – Playwright
- Carl Safina – Conservationist, author
- Barry Weiss – Chairman, BMG Label Group
- Meg Wolitzer – Novelist
- "GRAMMYÂ® Foundation Announces 2004 Signature Schools". Prweb.com. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- "About the Syosset CSD". Homework.syosset.k12.ny.us. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- "Online academic competition – exciting quiz bowl concept since the National Academic Championship was established in 1983". Qunlimited.com. March 30, 1981. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- "International Thespian Society – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia". En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- "The Castle Program at Syosset High School". Retrieved 2/5/2012.
- "Long Island High School Sports News – Newsday – Scores & Recaps". Newsday. February 28, 2010. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- Weber, Christopher. "School of Stars: Judd Apatow, Elaine Chao, Michael Isikoff, W.Va. First Lady?". Politicsdaily.com. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- Livnat, Arie (December 16, 2010). "No. 1 WNBA Draft pick Sue Bird headed to Ramle". Haaretz. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
- George Drakoulias
- "LIVES WELL LIVED: JOHN C. RUSSELL; He Who Dances". New York Times. January 1, 1995. Retrieved January 24, 2011.