|— Gymnast —|
August 22, 1990 |
|Hometown||Port Saint Lucie, Florida|
|Height||1.58 m (5 ft 2 in)|
|College team||University of Michigan|
|Head coach(es)||Kurt Golder|
Quazi Syque Caesar (born August 22, 1990) is an artistic gymnast who represented Bangladesh at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. He is also a member of the Michigan Wolverines men's gymnastics team.
Caesar was born in Florida, the son of immigrants from Bangladesh. Raised in Port Saint Lucie, Florida, Caesar enrolled at the University of Michigan in 2008. He was a member of the Michigan Wolverines men's gymnastics team from 2009 to 2012. As a sophomore in 2010, he helped lead Michigan to the NCAA team championship. As a junior in 2011, he was elected co-captain of the Michigan men's gymnastic team and won the Big Ten Conference championship in the parallel bars.
Caesar holds dual U.S. and Bangladesh citizenship and has represented Bangladesh in international competition. At the Central South Asian Artistic Gymastic Championships in December 2011, Caesar competed for Bangladesh and won the parallel bars event—the first gold medal for Bangladesh in international competition. He also won the silver medal in the vault and the bronze medals in the floor event and all-around competition. He was dubbed "Golden Syque" in The Daily Star, Bangladesh's largest English-language newspaper.
In April 2012, Caesar was chosen to represent Bangladesh at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. There he had hopes to end Bangladesh's distinction as the most populous nation never to have won a medal at the Olympic Games. Caesar's roommate and Michigan teammate, Sam Mikulak, was also chosen to compete in the 2012 Olympics, representing the United States.
- "Q & A with London-bound Syque Caesar". The Michigan Daily. May 3, 2012.
- Colt Rosensweig (January 10, 2009). "Caesar's dramatic improvements may spell lineup spot". The Michigan Daily.
- "Syque Caesar". MGoBlue.com. University of Michigan.
- "Caesar, Makowske Capture Big Ten Individual Event Crowns". MGoBlue.com. University of Michigan. April 2, 2011.
- "Golden Syque". The Daily Star, Bangladesh. December 31, 2011.
- Saj Chowdury (May 10, 2012). "London 2012: Syque Caesar aims to bring Bangladesh glory". BBC.
- Jo-Ann Barnas (July 1, 2012). "Sam Mikulak becomes Michigan's first U.S. Olympian in men's gymnastics". Detroit Free Press.