Szamotuły [ʂamɔˈtuwɨ] (German: Samter) is a town in Poland, in Greater Poland Voivodeship, about 30 kilometres (19 miles) northwest of Poznań. It is the seat of Szamotuły County and of the smaller administrative district Gmina Szamotuły. The population was 18,760 at the 2006 Polish Census.
- Wacław z Szamotuł (1520s-1560s), composer and writer
- John Jonston (1603-1675), natural scientist and historian
- Philipp Scharwenka (1847-1917), composer and music educator
- Hans Georg Friedrich Groß (1860-1924), German balloonist and airship constructor
- Yab Rallen (1902-1989), newspaper critic
- Xaver Scharwenka (1850-1924), composer and pianist
- Maksymilian Ciężki (1899-1951), cryptographer
- Małgorzata Braunek (1947-2014), actress
- Siegmund Lubszinski (Lubin) (1841-1923), American film pioneer, the first Jewish "Movie Mogul."
Twin towns – Sister cities
Szamotuły is twinned with:
Coordinates: 52°37′N 16°35′E / 52.617°N 16.583°E