- Adam Szymański, Polish writer
- Antoni Szymański, Polish Army general
- Beata Szymańska, Polish poet and writer
- Boleslaw Szymanski, computer scientist
- Frank Szymanski, football player
- Grzegorz Szymański, Polish volleyball player
- Halina Szymańska, Polish spy
- Henry Szymanski, American wrestler
- Ignacy Szymański, Polish soldier
- Jake Toranzo Szymanski, film & TV actor
- Jan Szymański, Polish speed skater
- Jan Szymański, Polish wrestler
- Konrad Szymański, Polish politician
- Krystyna Szymańska-Lara, Polish basketball player
- Paweł Szymański, Polish composer
- Roman Szymański, Polish political activist
The name Szymański is of Polish origins. The name is derived from the personal name "Szymon" and the characteristic Polish suffix "-ski", meaning "son of". Thus, the name Szymański means "son of Szymon".
This surname was originally derived from the Hebrew personal name SHIMON, and in many vernacular versions of the Old Testament the name is usually rendered as SIMEON. In the New Testament, however, the name is normally rendered as Simon, partly as a result of an association with the Greek byname SIMOS, meaning snub-nosed.
The name has spread to England, Italy, Germany, Holland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary, and the name has been in use as a given name in Western Europe from the Middle Ages onwards. The name was no doubt popular because of its associations with the apostle Simon Peter, the brother of Andrew. In Britain, there was confusion from an early date with the Anglo-Scandinavian form of Sigmund, a name whose popularity was reinforced at the time of the Norman Conquest of 1066, by the Norman form of Simmund.
- Ministry of Interior (Poland). Statystyka najpopularniejszych nazwisk występujących w Polsce in 2009 (The most popular surnames in Poland in 2009). Retrieved on August 18, 2013.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Szymański. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|