Tõnu Trubetsky (2006).
|Birth name||Tõnu Trubetsky|
|Also known as||Tony Blackplait|
24 April 1963 |
Vürst Trubetsky & J.M.K.E.
The Un Concern
- 1 Early life
- 2 Music career
- 3 Film career
- 4 Writing career
- 5 Political activity
- 6 Personal life
- 7 Discography
- 8 Filmography
- 9 Bibliography
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Tõnu Trubetsky was born in Tallinn, Estonia as the oldest son of Jaan Trubetsky, who was of Polish and Ruthenian heritage (See Trubetskoy family) and Leili Rikk, an Estonian. Trubetsky was awarded the Silver Mark award by the Committee of Physical Culture and Sports near the Soviet Ministries of the U. S. S. R. in 1981. After graduating from theatre class at Tallinn's 32nd Secondary School in 1982, he served in the Soviet Army.
Trubetsky's music is inspired by basic three-chord punk rock. Following his discharge from the military in 1984, Tõnu Trubetsky appeared in the Eastern European punk scene and formed the punk band Vennaskond, which as of 2006 is the oldest continually active rock band in Estonia.
In addition to being the lead singer for Vennaskond, he has been the lead singer for several other punk bands, including Felis Ultramarinus in 1986, Vürst Trubetsky & J.M.K.E. from 1986 to 2009, The Un Concern in 1988, and The Flowers of Romance (not to be confused with the original English Flowers of Romance) since 1999. He was a guitarist for Operatsioon Õ in 1995.
In 1989, Vennaskond embarked upon a 5-gig concert tour in Finland with Jim Arrow & the Anachrones. All the members of Vennaskond fled to Finland in the beginning of 1991. Their first album came out in Estonia during this absence.
In 1992, after returning to Estonia from Finland, Trubetsky was working as a guard for the production association ETKVL Kooperaator when Finnish film director Pekka Karjalainen asked him if he would appear in the film Hysteria. Trubetsky agreed, and sang the song "Riga My Love" in the film.
Trubetsky's poetry can be described[by whom?] as romantic and anarchist, reflecting his romantic views of punk, rocker, new romantic, teddy-boy, psychobilly, and other subcultures, all of which were quite unreachable in the former Soviet Union. Trubetsky's novels are usually co-written with his long-time friend, anarchist Anti Pathique, and can be described[by whom?] as naïve, over-the-edge science fiction.
Trubetsky has been a member of Amnesty International since 1992 and the Anarchist League of Estonia (M. A. L.) since 1995.
Trubetsky is a former member of the Estonian Greens. He stood as a candidate in the Estonian parliamentary election in 2007 and the European Parliament election in 2009. On 5 August 2010, Trubetsky announced he had left the Greens for the Centre Party.
Tõnu Trubetsky's daughter is Reginleif Trubetsky.
Vürst Trubetsky & J. M. K. E.
- Rotipüüdja (2000, MC, CD, Melodija/Kaljukotkas)
The Flowers of Romance
- Sue Catwoman (2004, CDEP, MFM Records)
- Sue Catwoman (2004, CD, The Flowers of Romance)
- Paris (2006, CD, Līgo)
Compilation including The Flowers of Romance
- Punk Occupation 12 (2006, CD, Feńka R'n'R/Crazy Rat) - Girl in Black
- Millennium (1998, VHS, 90 min., Faama Film/Trubetsky Pictures)
- Ma armastan Ameerikat (2001, VHS, 140 min., DayDream Productions/Trubetsky Pictures)
- Sügis Ida-Euroopas (2004, 2DVD, 185 min., DayDream/Trubetsky Pictures)
- New York (2006, DVD, 140 min., Trubetsky Pictures)
- Pirates of Destiny (2007, DVD, 150 min., Trubetsky Pictures)
- Serenade (dir. Rao Heidmets, 1987)
- The Sweet Planet (dir. Aarne Ahi, 1987)
- War (dir. Hardi Volmer & Riho Unt, 1987)
- Hysteria (dir. Pekka Karjalainen, 1992)
- Moguchi (music by Vennaskond, dir. Toomas Griin & Jaak Eelmets, 2004)
- Punklaulupidu (dir. Erle Veber, 2008)
- Pogo (poetry; 1989) ISBN 5-450-00197-5
- Inglid ja kangelased (Angels And Heroes; novel; with Anti Pathique; 1992)
- Anarhia (Anarchy; poetry; 1994) ISBN 9985-55-011-0
- Daam sinises (Lady In Blue; punk novel; with Anti Pathique; 1994)
- Mina ja George (Me And George; novel; 1996)
- Trubetsky (poetry; 2000) ISBN 9985-66-199-0
- Inglid ja kangelased (Angels And Heroes; novel; with Anti Pathique and Juhan Habicht; 2002) ISBN 9985-9448-1-X
- Anarhistid. Anarhia agendid. Maailmarevolutsiooni prelüüd. Anarhistliku liikumise ajalugu (The Anarchists: Agents of Anarchy. Prelude of World Revolution: A History of Anarchist Movement; 2003) ISBN 9985-9448-8-7
- Susi jutud (The Tales of Susi; novel; with Anti Pathique; 2007) ISBN 978-9985-9805-1-4
- Eesti punk 1976–1990. Anarhia ENSV-s (Estonian punk 1976–1990. Anarchy in The ESSR; with Cat Bloomfield; 2009)
- "Tõnu Trubetsky pürib roheliste ridades riigikokku" (in Estonian). Postimees http://www.postimees.ee. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "Tõnu Trubetsky kandideerib europarlamenti" (in Estonian). Eesti Rahvusringhääling http://www.err.ee. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "Tõnu Trubetsky astus Keskerakonda" [Tõnu Trubetsky joined the Centre Party] (in Estonian). Delfi. August 5, 2010. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "EESTI PUNK 1976—1990" (in Estonian). Rockclub Tapper http://www.tapper.ee. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- Tony Blackplait on Myspace
- Tony Blackplait on Facebook
- Tõnu Trubetsky discography at MusicBrainz
- Tõnu Trubetsky at the Internet Movie Database