||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
9 September 1928|
Piracicaba, São Paulo, Brazil
|Residence||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Institutions||Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Instituto Tecnológico de Aeronáutica|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Known for||Brazilian Computer Science Pioneer|
|Notable awards||Ordem Nacional do Mérito Científico, Ordem do Mérito Militar, Ordem do Mérito Naval, Ordem do Mérito da Defesa|
Pacitti was born in Piracicaba-SP, where he did his basic studies at the Colégio Piracicabano. He graduated as aeronautical engineer from ITA, first in the class of 1952, having completed a Masters (1961) and Ph.D. (1971) at University of California, Berkeley. He was a student of David A. Huffman among others at Berkeley.
Pacitti wrote several books in computer science, especially the Fortran Monitor, which from 1967 to 1987 has sold 250,000 copies in the country, and Do Fortran à Internet (From Fortran to the Internet), retrospect of his life and information technology in the world, already in its third edition. He launched in 2006 Paradigmas do software aberto (Paradigms of open source software), his most recent work.
He led the introduction of information technology at the ITA, at the Air Force, at COPPE-UFRJ and at UNIRIO. He was rector of the ITA between 1982 to 1984, and established the course of Computer Engineering.
His last post in the Air Force Command, as Major-Brigadier Engineer, was the Head of the Directorate of Engineering in 1986 and 1987 season in which he also chaired the ADESG. He was president of the Council of Informatics of the State of Rio de Janeiro from 1987 to 1990. It currently belongs to the National Academy of Engineering and is scientific adviser to the presidency of Consist.
- Excellence in Software Award granted by the International Centre for Software Technology (CTIS), 1996
Tercio Pacitti was container, among others, the following medals:
- Ordem do Mérito Militar (Order of Military Merit) (grade of Commander)
- Ordem do Mérito Naval (Order of Naval Merit) (grade of Commander)
- Ordem do Mérito da Defesa (Order of Merit of Defense) (degree of Grand Official)
- Ordem Nacional do Mérito Científico (National Order of Scientific Merit) (Grand Cross) - President of the Republic of Brazil - Mar/1998.
- Medalha do pacificador (Pacifier Medal) (Port Min No 791 of 28 Sep 83 / No. 41 BE, 14 Oct 83)
- Medalha Mérito Tamandaré (Tamandaré Merit Medal) (Air Force)
- Ordem do Ipiranga (Order of Ipiranga) (São Paulo, degree of Grand Officer)
- Atkinson, Cyril P.; Pacitti, Tércio (1983). Programação e Métodos Computacionais [Programming and Computational Methods] (in portuguese) 1 (4 ed.). Rio de Janeiro: LTC. p. 431. ISBN 85-216-0283-9.
- Atkinson, Cyril P.; Pacitti, Tércio (1976). Programação e Métodos Computacionais [Programming and Computational Methods] (in portuguese) 2 (2 ed.). Rio de Janeiro: LTC. p. 380. ISBN 85-216-0284-7.
- Pacitti, Tércio (1967). Fortran Monitor [Fortran Monitor] (in portuguese). Rio de Janeiro: Ao Livro Técnico. p. 282.
- Pacitti, Tércio (1985). Programação - Princípios [Programming - Principles] (in portuguese). Rio de Janeiro: Ao Livro Técnico. p. 361.
- Pacitti, Tércio (2003). Construindo o Futuro através da Educação (do Fortran à Internet) [Building the Future through Education (Fortran to the Internet)] (in portuguese) (3 ed.). Rio de Janeiro: Thomsom. p. 472. ISBN 85-221-0331-3.
- Pacitti, Tércio (2006). Paradigmas do Software Aberto [Paradigms of Open Source] (in portuguese). Rio de Janeiro: LTC. p. 156. ISBN 85-216-1467-5.
- "General List of the National Order of Scientific Merit". Ministry of Science and Technology. Retrieved 2010-05-27.