|Type||d.o.o. (društvo s ograničenom odgovornošću), state-owned|
|Parent||HŽ Holding d.o.o (via HŽ PUTNIČKI PRIJEVOZ d.o.o) (100%)|
The company's history dates to 1894 and the establishment of a railway workshop for heavy repair of steam locomotives. The original factory was constructed in 16 months on the edge of the city of Zagreb (now within the centre of the expanded city), south of the 1890 Zagreb Glavni railway station, for the Kraljevskih južnih željeznica (Royal Southern Railway) between Budapest and the Adriatic.
Housing for plant workers coming from Hungary and Germany was constructed nearby. The factory was expanded and rebuilt in 1911.
Manufacture of railway vehicles began in 1954, with the production of postal wagons. The company later manufactured electric locomotives, wagons, and passenger vehicles.
A new plant was established in Vukomercu, Zagreb in 1968 for locomotive production.
A preservation order for part of the original factory was issued in 2006. Construction of new facilities, and modernisation of existing works in Vukomercu began in 2008. In 2010 the company moved all its production to a new 40,000 m2 (430,000 sq ft) factory in the Vukomercu industrial area of Zagreb, constructed and equipped at a cost of 650 million kuna. The city of Zagreb acquired the land of the former factory for €88.2 million.
As of 2012 the company produces railway vehicles including coaches, wagons, diesel and electric locomotives, trams, and tram-rail grinding vehicles, as well as components including bogies and lifting equipment. The plant also performs rail equipment maintenance.
- , Vukomercu, Zagreb plant
- , former central Zagreb plant
- Đuro Đaković (company), Croatian engineering company, diesel locomotive manufacturer
- CROTRAM, tram manufacturing joint venture with Končar Elektroindustrija d.d.
- Branka Suvajac (18 November 2011), "HŽ se želi riješiti Gredelja", limun.hr (in Croatian)
- "HŽ PUTNIČKI PRIJEVOZ d.o.o. za prijevoz putnika (HŽ Passenger Transport Limited Liability Company) :BASIC INFORMATION", www.hznet.hr, retrieved 12 May 2012
- (Official website), tvornica željezničkih vozila "Gredelj" d.o.o., Tradicija i iskustvo, October 2007
- Biserka Dumbović Bilušić, "Valorizacija i mogućnosti urbane transformacije povijesnog industrijskog krajolika željeznice u Zagrebu (Urban Redevelopment of the Railway’s Industrial Landscape in Zagreb)", 3rd international conference on Industrial Heritage in Rijeka (in Croatian, English abstract) (PRO TORPEDO Association for Protection and Promotion of Rijeka's Industrial Heritage)
- "Industrijske ljepotice čekaju novo ruho", www.poslovni.hr (in Croatian), 31 March 2006
- "Gredelj započinje gradnju novih pogona u Vukomercu", www.index.hr (in Croatian), 29 January 2008
- "U Vukomercu novi pogoni Gredelja", www.tportal.hr (in Croatian), 30 June 2010
- "Nekretnine Gredelja vrijedne 88 milijuna eura Gradu Zagrebu kupuje Zagrebački holding", www.business.hr (in Croatian), 27 October 2007
- Nevenka Cuglin (20 April 2011), "Čović o ulaganju od 88 mil. €: Gredelj izgleda kao da je bombardiran", www.business.hr (in Croatian)
- "PRODUCTION PROGRAM", tzv-gredelj.biz.hr, retrieved May 2012