T. J. Miller
|T. J. Miller|
Miller performing stand-up comedy, June 2010
|Born||Todd Joseph Miller
June 4, 1981
Denver, Colorado, U.S.
Life and career
Miller was born in Denver, Colorado. He attended Graland Country Day School, East High School and George Washington University in Washington, D.C. where he was a member of the comedy group GWU recess and the Lambda chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa.
In 2014, Miller became engaged to actress and long-term girlfriend, Kate Gorney.
Miller described learning about his arteriovenous malformation on his right frontal lobe on the Pete Holmes podcast You Made It Weird on October 28, 2011. He became more philosophical, narrated his behaviors, and was unable to sleep while filming Yogi Bear (2010) in New Zealand. His brain surgery was successful, though there was a 10% chance of fatality.
Miller appears frequently as a member of the "round table" on Chelsea Lately. He appeared as Marmaduke Brooker in the TV series Carpoolers which ran for 13 episodes on ABC in 2007-2008. He portrays Robbie V. on the Disney channel cartoon Gravity Falls. On December 13, 2010, October 28, 2011, and June 14, 2012 he performed stand-up on Conan. On November 15, 2011, T. J. Miller's stand-up special "No Real Reason" premiered on Comedy Central. In 2011, he hosted a special called Mash Up, which was picked up in 2012 for a full season by Comedy Central. Mash Up premiered to rave reviews. Miller starred in Fox TV series The Goodwin Games as Jimmy Goodwin. Miller currently appears in Mike Judge's series Silicon Valley on HBO.
In Miller's film debut, Cloverfield, he appeared onscreen for only a few minutes, but his voice was heard in almost every scene as the character who videotaped most of the events depicted. In 2009, he played Cessna Jim in The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard. and the dim-witted grindcore musician Rory in Mike Judge's comedy Extract. In 2010, he co-starred in She's Out of My League as Stainer, provided the voice of Tuffnut in the animated film How to Train Your Dragon (both which starred Jay Baruchel), played Brian the Concierge in Get Him to the Greek and appeared in a supporting role in the film Unstoppable. He also played Dan in Gulliver's Travels, released in December 2010. Miller played the supporting character of Ranger Jones in the live-action Yogi Bear 2010 film. Unlike his character on the cartoon show, he is "dumb-but-not-in-a-funny-way," according to the Buffalo News. Miller was cast in the part after two auditions; as a joke, he sent Warner Bros. an improvised video audition with an actual bear, though he had already been offered the part before they received it. In 2011, he appeared in the film Our Idiot Brother. He also had a cameo as administrative personnel for Rolling Stone in the 2012 film Rock of Ages. Miller is set to star in the upcoming movie Search Party alongside Adam Pally. This film serves as the directorial debut of frequent Todd Phillips cohort Scot Armstrong. Miller appeared in the 2014 Michael Bay film Transformers: Age of Extinction. In March 2014, Miller will be the voice of Fred in the upcoming superhero CGI film Big Hero 6.
On September 12, 2011, Miller released a comedy rap concept album titled, The Extended Play E.P. The album features comedians Bo Burnham, Doug Benson, Pete Holmes and hip-hop artists Ugly Duckling and Johnny Polygon. In 2012, Miller released The Extended Play E.P. Illegal Art Remix Tape. Also in 2012, Miller released "Mash Up Audiofile" on Comedy Central Records to mixed reviews.
- Miller started appearing on Chicago-based comedy Podcast Red Bar Radio in 2006 as a semi-regular cohost.
- He hosts a podcast with friend and fellow comedian Cash Levy, titled ''Cashing in With TJ Miller, which began airing in March 2012 on the Nerdist Network.
- He is also a frequent guest on Doug Benson's podcast Doug Loves Movies.
|Cloverfield||2008||Hudson "Hud" Platt|
|Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard, TheThe Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard||2009||Cessna Jim|
|She's Out of My League||2010||Wendell aka "Stainer"|
|How to Train Your Dragon||2010||Tuffnut Thorston||Voice; also in the video game|
|Get Him to the Greek||2010||Brian the Concierge|
|Yogi Bear||2010||Ranger Jones|
|Our Idiot Brother||2011||Billy Orwin|
|Charlie On Parole||2011||Charlie||Short|
|Seeking a Friend for the End of the World||2012||Darcy|
|Rock of Ages||2012||Rolling Stone Receptionist|
|Hell & Back||2014||Augie||Voice|
|How to Train Your Dragon 2||2014||Tuffnut Thorston||Voice|
|Transformers: Age of Extinction||2014||Lucas Flannery|
|Big Hero 6||2014||Fred||Voice|
|How to Train Your Dragon 3||2017||Tuffnut Thorston||Voice|
|Carpoolers||2007–2008||Marmaduke Brooker||13 episodes|
|Happy Endings||2011||Jason Shershow|
|Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas||2011||Prancer||Voice|
|The League||2011||Gabriel||Episode: The Light of Genesis|
|Romantic Encounters with Melinda Hill||2012||Toy Story 5|
|Mash Up||2012||Himself||8 episodes|
|The Gorburger Show||2012–2013||Gorburger||16 episodes|
|Dragons: Riders of Berk||2012–present||Tuffnut Thorson||Voice|
|American Dad!||2013||Benji||Voice, Episode: Poltergasm|
|The Goodwin Games||2013||Jimmy Goodwin||7 episodes|
|High School USA!||2013||Brad Slovee||Voice|
- http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-223-t-j-miller-3/. Missing or empty
- Pete Holmes (October 27, 2011). "You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes". You Made It Weird #2: TJ Miller (Podcast). Nerdist Industries. Retrieved December 5, 2012.
- Kenny, Eve. "There's Plenty of Reason to Tune In...". Comedy Central. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "T.J. Miller's Mash Up Gets Picked Up For Series By Comedy Central". Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- Heisler, Steve. "Mash Up". Other Shows. AV Club. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- Chang, Justin. "Yogi Bear", Variety, December 12, 2010. Accessed January 10, 2011.
- Miller, Melinda. "'Yogi Bear' spoils the picnic: Film with potential winds up being mostly unbearable", Buffalo News, December 17, 2010. Accessed January 10, 2011.
- Jacob. "TJ Miller Cast as Ranger Jones Thanks to Bizarre Audition", Beyond Hollywood, November 23, 2009. Accessed January 10, 2011.
- Mangel, Kristy. "T.J. Miller Cast in 'Yogi Bear'", The Apiary, November 18, 2009. Accessed January 10, 2011.
- "'Search Party' Finds Its Stars, Begins Shooting Next Week". The Hollywood Reporter. 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2014-01-12.
- T.J. Miller Joins 'Transformers 4'
- Jeffries, David (2011-09-25). "The Extended Play EP - T.J. Miller : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Stream: T.J. Miller – The Extended Play E.P. Illegal Art ReMixTape (CoS Premiere)". Consequence of Sound. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Wenzel, John. "T.J. Miller Mash Up Audiofile album review". The Spit Take. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Official website
- T. J. Miller at the Internet Movie Database
- TJ Miller Stand Up Comedy Videos on Effinfunny.com