T. D. Jakes
|Bishop T. D. Jakes|
|Birth name||Thomas Dexter Jakes|
June 9, 1957 |
South Charleston, West Virginia, U.S.
|Spouse||Elder Serita Ann Jakes|
Thomas Dexter "T. D." Jakes, Sr. (born June 9, 1957) is the bishop/chief pastor of The Potter's House, a non-denominational American megachurch, with 30,000 members. T. D. Jakes' church services and evangelistic sermons are broadcast on The Potter's Touch, which airs on the Trinity Broadcasting Network, Black Entertainment Television, the Daystar Television Network, The Word Network and The Miracle Channel in Canada. Other aspects of Jakes' ministry include an annual revival called "MegaFest" that draws more than 100,000 people, an annual women's conference called "Woman Thou Art Loosed", and gospel music recordings.
In the fall of 2009, Jakes planned on launching a secular daily talk show, syndicated through the CBS Television Distribution group; however, economic troubles in the industry may put his new program into jeopardy.
In 2005 Jakes accompanied President George W. Bush on his visit to the areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina. In his book Decision Points, President Bush describes Jakes as "a kind of man who puts faith into action."
When he was 24 in 1981, he married Serita Ann Jamison. They have five children: Jermaine, Jamar, Cora, Sarah, and Thomas Jakes, Jr. Jakes is a strong advocate of abstinence and has made appearances on the subject ranging from Good Morning America to Dr. Phil.
On the PBS program African American Lives, Jakes had his DNA analyzed; his Y chromosome showed that he is descended from the Igbo people of Nigeria. According to his family history, it was also suggested that he is descended from them through his grandmother. He is a second cousin once removed of vocalist Will Wheaton and first cousin twice removed of actor James Wheaton.
Awards and accomplishments
Jakes has received numerous honors, including 13 honorary degrees and doctorates. He has also received Grammy and Dove Award nominations for Gospel album "Live at The Potter's House." PBS Religion and Ethics Newsweekly named Jakes among America's "Top 10 Religious Leaders." Time magazine featured Jakes on the cover of its September 17, 2001 issue with the provocative question: "Is This Man the Next Billy Graham?".
- Intimacy With God
- Loved by God
- Can You Stand To Be Blessed?
- Naked And Not Ashamed?
- Loose That Man And Let Him Go
- Loose That Man And Let Him Go Work Book
- Positioning Yourself To Prosper
- Reposition Yourself: Living a Life Without Limits
- He-Motions: Even Strong Men Struggle
- Help! I'm Raising My Children Alone: A Guide for Single Ladies and Those Who Sometimes Feel They Are
- Ten Commandments of Working in a Hostile Environment
- Promises From God For Single Women
- Woman, Thou Art Loosed: Healing the Wounds of the Past
- Woman, Thou Art Loosed Devotional
- The Lady, Her Lover, and Her Lord
- Maximize the Moment : God's Action Plan For Your Life
- So You Call Yourself a Man?: Finally Devotional for Ordinary Men With Extraordinary Potential
- God's Leading Lady
- His Lady
- Jesus Walks (with me)
- Lay Aside the Weight
- Daddy Loves His Girls
- The Greatest Investment
- Mama Made the Difference
- TD Jakes Speaks To Men
- Overcoming the Enemy
- From the cross to Pentecost
- Life Overflowing: Six Pillars for Abundant Living
- Not Easily Broken, 2006
- Before You Do: Making Great Decisions That You Won't Regret, Atria Books, 2008. ISBN 978-1-4165-4728-0
- The Memory Quilt: A Christmas Story for Our Times, 2009
- Let it go: Forgive So You Can Be Forgiven , 2012
- 2004: Woman Thou Art Loosed — As himself (based on Jakes' novel of the same name)
- 2009: Not Easily Broken — Allen (based on another Jakes' novel).
- 2011: Jumping the Broom — Reverend James
- 2010: Munya — Reverend Brian
- 2012: "Woman Thou Art Loosed on the 7th Day" - As himself
- 2012: Sparkle
- 2014: Heaven Is for Real - Producer
"Biography". Bishop T.D. Jakes. — T.D. Jakes Web site. http://www.tdjakes.com/bishops-bio/. Retrieved 11-24-2011
- Washington Post Article
- Broadcasting and Cable: "Troubled Syndie Market Takes Its Toll", 1/10/2009.
- COMMENTARY; Reclaiming black heritage by using DNA[dead link]
- EthnicLoft — Sharing and celebrating the treasures of our heritage and culture[dead link]
- African Ancestry & DNA Tests: The Results
- Oprah Winfrey's ancestry traced to Liberia
- Christ Notes
- "Woman Thou Art Loosed". Internet Movie Database Inc. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "Not Easily Broken". Internet Movie Database Inc. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- T. D. Jakes Ministries official website
- T.D. Jakes at the Internet Movie Database
- T. D. Jakes Ministries sermons site