T. J. McFarland
|T. J. McFarland|
|Baltimore Orioles – No. 66|
June 8, 1989 |
Palos Hills, Illinois
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|April 6, 2013 for the Baltimore Orioles|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.22|
McFarland attended Amos Alonzo Stagg High School in Palos Hills, Illinois, where he played for the school's baseball team. As a senior, McFarland recorded 103 strikeouts while walking only 13 in 66 2⁄3 innings pitched. He signed a letter of intent to attend the University of Missouri and play college baseball for the Missouri Tigers baseball team.
The Cleveland Indians selected McFarland in the fourth round of the 2007 MLB Draft. Rather than attend Missouri, McFarland signed with the Indians. While pitching for the Kinston Indians of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League in 2010, he was named to the all-star game.
After spending the 2012 season with the Akron Aeros of the Class AA Eastern League and the Columbus Clippers of the Class AAA International League, the Baltimore Orioles selected McFalrand from the Indians in the 2012 Rule 5 draft. After a strong spring training, he was named to the Orioles' Opening Day roster. The Orioles traded fellow relief pitcher Luis Ayala in April 2013, further solidifying McFarland's hold on a roster spot and improving his chances of staying with Baltimore; a Rule 5 pick must remain with the MLB team that drafted him for the entire season or be offered back to the original team for $25,000. He earned his first career major league win on June 13 pitching an inning of relief against the Boston Red Sox. He made his first career start on June 28 against the New York Yankees. In his first full major league season, McFarland made 38 appearances with all but one in relief.
- "Cleveland selected 48 players in the '07 First-Year Player Draft" (Press release). Major League Baseball. June 8, 2007. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "BARFIELD MISSING AS A HITTER, WON'T MAKE EXCUSES, WEDGE SEEKS CONSISTENCY FROM SECOND BASEMAN, GIVES CABRERA A CHANCE". Akron Beacon Journal. August 17, 2007. p. C5. Retrieved May 17, 2013. (subscription required)
- "T.J. McFarland is a Carolina League All-Star! | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- Connolly, Dan (March 11, 2013). "Can T.J. McFarland pitch his way onto Baltimore Orioles' roster? - Baltimore Sun". Articles.baltimoresun.com. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- Connolly, Dan (March 26, 2013). "Lefty T.J. McFarland is forcing the Orioles into a tough decision - Baltimore Sun". Articles.baltimoresun.com. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- Encina, Eduardo A. (March 29, 2013). "Rule 5 pick T.J. McFarland makes Orioles Opening Day roster - Baltimore Sun". Articles.baltimoresun.com. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- Encina, Eduardo A. (April 10, 2013). "Trade shows faith in lefty T.J. McFarland, but Orioles' Rule 5 pick knows he still has to perform - Baltimore Sun". Articles.baltimoresun.com. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)