The classification was created by the International Paralympic Committee and has roots in a 2003 attempt to address "the overall objective to support and co-ordinate the ongoing development of accurate, reliable, consistent and credible sport focused classification systems and their implementation."
This classification is for disability athletics. This classification is one of several classifications for athletes with ambulant related disabilities. Similar classifications are T40, T42, T43, T44, T45 and T46. Jane Buckley, writing for the Sporting Wheelies, describes the athletes in this classification as: "Single above knee amputation (or combined arm/leg amputation) or similar disability." The International Paralympic Committee defined this as: "Single above knee amputees and athletes with other impairments that are comparable to a single above knee amputation. This includes athletes with loss of muscle power in the lower limbs consistent with Class F57 or F58 class."
Competitors seeking to compete in para-athletics first need to be classified. Athletes undergo a medical examination and are asked to demonstrate their skills in athletics, such as running, jumping or throwing. A determination is then made as to what an classification an athlete should compete in. Classifications may be Confirmed or Review status. For athletes who do not have access to a full classification panel, Provisional classification is available; this is a temporary Review classification, considered an indication of class only, and generally used only in lower levels of competition.
Double above knee amputee Richard Whitehead also runs in the T42 classification. At the London Paralympics he won the 200 metre event in T42 world record time. He also holds T42 world records in the 400 metre, half marathon and marathon distances.
- Para-athletics classification
- Athletics at the Summer Paralympics
- Athletics at the 2008 Summer Paralympics – Men's 100 metres T42
- "Paralympic Classification Today". International Paralympic Committee. 22 April 2010. p. 3.
- Buckley, Jane (2011). "Understanding Classification: A Guide to the Classification Systems used in Paralympic Sports". Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Summer Sports » Athletics". Australia: Australian Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 19 November 2011.
- Tweedy, Sean (16 July 2010). "Research Report - IPC Athletics Classification Project for Physical Impairments". Queensland, Australiaa: International Paralympic Committee. p. 42. Retrieved 19 November 2011.
- "CLASSIFICATION Information for Athletes". Sydney Australia: Australian Paralympic Committee. 2 July 2010. Retrieved 19 November 2011.
- "London 2012 Paralympic Games - Athletics - Men's 200 m T42". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "World records confirmed from BT Paralympic World Cup". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Team Ossur: Richard Whitehead". Ossur. Retrieved 24 January 2013.