|Founders||Tomson Dongsheng Li|
|Headquarters||Huizhou, Guangdong, China|
|Key people||Tomson Dongsheng Li (CEO)|
|Products||Television sets, video cameras, mobile phones|
|Revenue||US$11.2 billion (2012)|
TCL Corporation is a Chinese multinational electronics company headquartered in Huizhou, Guangdong, China. It designs, develops, manufactures and sells products including televisions, mobile phones, air conditioners, washing machines, refrigerators and small electrical appliances. In 2010 it was the world's 25th-largest consumer electronics producer and third-largest television producer (after Samsung and LG).
TCL comprises three listed companies: TCL Corporation (SZSE: 000100), which is listed on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange, and TCL Multimedia Technology Holdings, Ltd. (SEHK: 1070) and TCL Communication Technology Holdings, Ltd. (SEHK: 2618), which are listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
TCL's current corporate slogan is "The Creative Life".
The company was founded in 1981 and incorporated in 1985 as TCL Telecommunication Equipment Co Ltd. It began manufacturing consumer electronics for the Chinese market during the 1980s, and began to sell overseas in the 2000s. Though a state-owned enterprise, TCL was established as a joint venture with several Hong Kong-based investors.
In July 2003, TCL chairman Li Dongsheng formally announced a 'Dragon and Tiger Plan' to establish two competitive TCL businesses in global markets ("Dragons") and three leading businesses inside China ("Tigers").
In November 2003, TCL and Thomson SA of France announced the creation of a joint venture to produce televisions and DVD players worldwide. TCL took a 67 percent stake in the joint venture, with Thomson SA holding the rest of the shares, and it was agreed that televisions made by TCL-Thomson would be marketed under the TCL brand in Asia and the Thomson and RCA brands in Europe and North America.
In April 2004, TCL and Alcatel announced the creation of a mobile phone manufacturing joint venture: Alcatel Mobile Phones. TCL injected 55 million euros in the venture in return for a 55 per cent shareholding.
In May 2005 TCL announced that its Hong Kong-listed unit would acquire Alcatel's 45 per cent stake in their mobile-phone joint venture for consideration of HK$63.34 million ($8.1 million) worth of TCL Communication shares.
In June 2007 TCL announced that its mobile phone division planned to cease using the Alcatel brand and switch entirely to the TCL brand within five years.
In July 2008 TCL announced that it planned to raise 1.7 billion yuan ($249 million) via a share placement on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange to fund the construction of two production lines for LCD televisions; one for screens of up to 42 inches, and the other for screens of up to 56 inches. TCL sold a total of 4.18 million LCD TV sets in 2008, more than triple the number during 2007.
In January 2009 TCL announced plans to double its LCD TV production capacity to 10 million units by the end of 2009. In November 2009, TCL announced that it had formed a joint-venture with the Shenzhen government to construct an 8.5-generation thin film transistor-liquid crystal display production facility in the city at a cost of $3.9 billion.
In March 2010, TCL Multimedia raised HK$525 million through the sale of shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, in order to fund the development of its LCD and LED businesses and to generate working capital. In May 2011 TCL launched the China Smart Multimedia Terminal Technology Association in partnership with Hisense Electric Co. and Sichuan Changhong Electric Co., with the aim of helping to establish industry standards for smart televisions.
TCL is organised into four business divisions:
- Home Appliances
- Home Electronics / Consumer Electronics
In addition it has two affiliated business areas:
- Real estate and investment
- Logistics and services.
TCL has operations in more than 80 cities across Africa, Asia, Australasia, Europe, North America and South America. It has 18 R&D centers, 20 major manufacturing facilities and over 40 sales offices worldwide.
TCL's primary products are TVs, DVD players, air conditioners, GSM and CDMA mobile phones, personal computers, home appliances, electric lighting, and digital media.
It primarily sells its products under the TCL brand name in Africa, Asia, Australasia, South America and Russia, under the Alcatel brand in Europe (excl. Russia), and under the RCA brand in North America.
- "TCL Introduction". TCL Corporation. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Investor Relations TCL Official Site
- TCL Official Website
- History TCL Official Site
- About TCL TCL Official Site
- Murali, D. (16 April 2011). "A learning dragon with long strides". The Hindu (Chennai, India). Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "China Turns Into TV Powerhouse". CBS News. 10 November 2003. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "TCL Unit to Buy 45% Stake of Mobile-Phone Venture From Alcatel". Bloomberg. 16 May 2005. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "TCL to switch to own brand". China Daily. 20 June 2007. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Samsung to outsource some work to China's TCL". Reuters. 29 April 2008. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "China TCL share placement to raise $249 million". Reuters. 15 July 2008. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "China's TCL to double LCD TV capacity". Reuters. 22 January 2009. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- Yu, Rose (17 November 2009). "China to build $4bn advanced LCD plant". The Australian. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "TCL Multimedia sees losses at U.S., Europe ops". Reuters. 8 October 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "New industry standards launched for Smart TVs". Global Times. 8 October 2010. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- Verrier, Richard (11 January 2013). "China firm buys naming rights to Grauman's Chinese Theatre". Los Angeles Times.
- Company Profile TCL Official Site
- Anna Ringstrom (17 Apr 2012). "IKEA moves into consumer electronics with China venture". Thomson Reuters.
- LOUISE NORDSTROM (17 April 2012). "IKEA to sell TVs integrated in its furniture". Bloomberg L.P. The Associated Press.
- Official Website
- USA Website
- Economic Observer
- Businessweek Article about the Company
- Company Stock Listing