For other uses, see Toad (disambiguation)
|Original author(s)||Quest Software|
|Stable release||11.5  / April 25, 2012|
Supported databases and environments
Toad supports the following relational databases: Oracle Database, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, IBM DB2, and MySQL. In 2009, Toad for Cloud Databases was released to offer support for the following non-relational databases: Hadoop, mongoDB, SimpleDB, Azure Services Platform, and Apache Cassandra. Toad runs on all 32-bit Windows platforms, including Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, and Vista. For backend connectivity Toad needs Oracle 32-bit SQL*Net and Oracle version 7.3.4 or later.
Toad does not support any non-Microsoft environment. Starting from 2005-02-17, TOra, an open source platform independent tool offering some of Toad's basic functionality, is fully maintained by the community.
Jim McDaniel (aka "TOADman"), a practicing Oracle developer, originally designed Toad for his own use in the late 1990s. He called it Tool for Oracle Application Developers: "TOAD" for short. McDaniel made the tool available to others first as shareware and later as freeware, distributing it freely over the Internet.
As the user base grew, so did the effort of maintenance and development. Finally, the author realized that he could no longer dedicate substantial amounts of time to the growing quantity of software enhancement requests.
- Toad Pocket Reference for Oracle 1st Edition by Jim McDaniel and Patrick McGrath, O'Reilly, 2002 (ISBN 0596003374, ISBN 978-0-596-00337-1)
- Toad Pocket Reference for Oracle 2nd Edition by Jeff Smith, Bert Scalzo, and Patrick McGrath, O'Reilly, 2005 (ISBN 0596009712, ISBN 978-0-596-00971-7)
- TOAD Handbook by Bert Scalzo and Dan Hotka, Sams, 2003 (ISBN 0672324865, ISBN 978-0-672-32486-4)
- TOAD Handbook 2nd Edition by Bert Scalzo and Dan Hotka, Addison-Wesley Professional, 2009 (ISBN 0321649109, ISBN 978-0-321-64910-2)
- "TOAD for Oracle 11.5 released".
- Official Toad site
- Scalzo, Bert; Hotka, Dan (February 2003). Toad Handbook. Developer's Library. Jim McDaniel. Sams Publishing. p. xiv. ISBN 9780672324864. Retrieved 2013-10-23. "I've been working on TOAD now for more than six years. Or has it been seven?"
- "Quest Software's Acquisitions". Dell Inc. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "About Quest Software – now a part of Dell".