|Awarded for||Accomplishments that are poised to have a dramatic impact on the world as we know it|
|Presented by||Technology Review magazine, published by MIT|
as the TR100
The subcategories for the awards change from year to year, but generally focus on biomedicine, computing, communications, business, energy, materials, and the web. Nominations are sent from around the world and evaluated by a panel of expert judges. In some years, an Innovator of the Year or a Humanitarian of the Year is also named from among the winners.
The purpose of the award is to honor "accomplishments that are poised to have a dramatic impact on the world as we know it."
The award was started in 1999 as the TR100, with 100 winners, but was changed to 35 winners starting in 2005. The awards are presented to the winners at the annual Emtech conference on emerging technologies, held in the fall at MIT, where there is an awards ceremony and reception. There are several regional TR35 lists produced by Technology Review also, such as the list of the top 35 innovators under 35 in India, Spain, Italy, and France. The regional winners are then considered as candidates for the global list.
Some winners of the award include Larry Page and Sergey Brin (founders of Google), Linus Torvalds (creator of Linux), Jerry Yang (co-founder of Yahoo!), Jonathan Ive (designer of the iMac, and later the iPod and iPad), Mark Zuckerberg (creator of Facebook), Evan Williams (co-founder of Blogger), Jack Dorsey (creator of Twitter), Marc Andreessen (co-founder of Netscape), Shawn Fanning (creator of Napster), Roger Dingledine (creator of Tor), Max Levchin (co-founder of Paypal), David Karp (founder of Tumblr), Er.M.M.Idrees Ul Haq Beigh (founder of Jammu & Kashmir Innovators Forum) and Konstantin Novoselov (graphene pioneer and later Nobel Laureate in Physics).
- "Donhee Ham and Robert Wood Recognized in Technology Review's Prestigious TR35 for 2008". Harvard University. August 18, 2008. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "Top Young Innovators Under 35". Technology Review. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "Aydogan Ozcan Recognized by Technology Review's Prestigious TR35 Listing of the World's Top Young Innovators for 2009". UCLA. August 18, 2009. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "1999 Top 100 Innovators Under 35". Technology Review. 1999. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "2005 Top 35 Innovators Under 35". Technology Review. 2005. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "Technology Review Names Carnegie Mellon's Treuille to Prestigious TR35 List of Top Young Innovators". Carnegie Mellon University. August 18, 2009. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "20 Indians under the age of 35 honored by Massachusetts Institute of Technology". YourStory. March 8, 2010. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "MIT’s TR35 Spain Awards". Technology Review. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "TR35 Italia - Giovani Innovatori - Edizione 2012". Technology Review. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Les MIT Technology Review Innovateurs de moins de 35 ans France". Technology Review. Retrieved March 18, 2013.