|Full name||Turn- und Sportverein Handschuhsheim 1886 e. V.|
|Union||German Rugby Federation|
DRV-Pokal South/West, 1sturl=http://www.tsv-rugby.de/
The TSV Handschuhsheim is a German rugby union club from Heidelberg, currently playing in the Rugby-Bundesliga. Apart from rugby, the club also offers other sports like association football, handball and tennis.
The club was formed in 1886 in Handschuhsheim, a suburb of Heidelberg, one of the centres of German rugby.
TSV had a breakthrough in 1953, when it reached the German championship final for the first time. It played in three more finals in the next four years, winning its sole championship in 1957. Three more final appearances followed in the 60's.
With the establishment of the Rugby-Bundesliga in 1971, success dropped off for the team and after one more finals appearance in 1978 a long draught followed.
After a 27 year title-wait, TSV took out the German Cup in 2005 but lost the championship final that year. Both games were against DRC Hannover.
In 2008 it won the cup once more, surprisingly beating German champions RG Heidelberg 24-23 after extra time in front of 1,000 spectators, quite a reasonable crowd for German rugby.
In 2008-09, the club sat in fourth place at the winter break with good chances of making it into the expanded finals, where the top-four now qualified but narrowly missed those with a sixth place finish. Its reserve team played in the 2nd Bundesliga South/West this season. The club also reached the German Cup final once more, losing to champions SC 1880 Frankfurt.
The 2010-11 season saw the club finish third, behind the two professional outfits Heidelberger RK and SC 1880 Frankfurt, prompting it to be referred to as German amateur champions. It also saw the retirement of its most reliable try-scorer Alexander Pipa at the end of the season. TSV finished fifth in their group in the 2012-13 season and failed to qualify for the championship round, instead entering the second tier DRV-Pokal, where it came first in the south/west division. The club took out the German Cup with a 42-10 victory over Heidelberger TV. The club's reserve team took out the championship in the 3rd Liga South/West.
The clubs rugby department had a membership of 360 in 2007.
- German rugby union championship
- Champions: 1957
- Runners up: 1953, 1955, 1956, 1960, 1963, 1968, 1978, 2005
- German rugby union cup
- Winner: 2005, 2008, 2013
- Runners up: 1978, 2009
- German sevens championship
- Champions: 2004
Men: First team
Recent seasons of the club:
|Bundesliga qualification round||1st|
|Bundesliga championship round||6th|
|Bundesliga championship round||4th|
|2004-05||Rugby-Bundesliga||2nd — Runners up|
|2009–10||Rugby-Bundesliga||4th — Semi-finals|
|2010–11||Rugby-Bundesliga||3rd — Semi-finals|
|2012–13||Rugby-Bundesliga qualification round – South||5th|
|DRV-Pokal – South-West||1st — Winners|
|2013–14||Rugby-Bundesliga qualification round – South||3rd|
|Rugby-Bundesliga championship round – South-West|
- Until 2001, when the single-division Bundesliga was established, the season was divided in autumn and spring, a Vorrunde and Endrunde, whereby the top teams of the Rugby-Bundesliga would play out the championship while the bottom teams together with the autumn 2nd Bundesliga champion would play for Bundesliga qualification. The remainder of the 2nd Bundesliga teams would play a spring round to determine the relegated clubs. Where two placing's are shown, the first is autumn, the second spring. In 2012 the Bundesliga was expanded from ten to 24 teams and the 2nd Bundesliga from 20 to 24 with the leagues divided into four regional divisions.
|2005-06||2nd Rugby-Bundesliga South/West(II)||5th|
|2006-07||2nd Rugby-Bundesliga South/West||5th|
|2007–08||2nd Rugby-Bundesliga South/West||3rd|
|2008–09||2nd Rugby-Bundesliga South/West||5th|
|2009–10||2nd Rugby-Bundesliga South/West||7th|
|2010–11||2nd Rugby-Bundesliga South/West||4th|
|2011–12||2nd Rugby-Bundesliga South/West||8th — Relegated|
|2012–13||3rd Liga South/West - West (III)||1st — Champions|
|2013–14||2nd Rugby-Bundesliga qualification round – West||1st|
|DRV-Pokal – South-West|
The club had three players selected for the German under-18 team at the 2009 European Under-18 Rugby Union Championship, these being Matthias Marin, Sebastian Kößler and Konstantin Hoffmann. Of these, Sebastian Kößler also played at the 2010 tournament.
Recent coaches of the club:
|Mathias Bechtel & Günther Sträßer||- 2009|
|Jan Ceselka||2009 - 2012|
|Alexander Pipa (head coach), Frank Genthner (forwards), Nico Strohmeier (backs)||2013 -|
- TSV Handschuhsheim erkämpft sich den Titel (German) rugbyjournal.de - Article on the German Cup final 2008, accessed: 24 January 2009
- TotalRugby Wechselbörse 2011/2012 (German) totalrugby.de, accessed: 21 August 2011
- TSV Handschuhsheim zur gast beim Rugby Club Konstanz (German) Article on the TSV H, accessed: 24 January 2009
- RugbyWeb Ergebnisarchiv (German) rugbyweb.de - Results archive, accessed: 24 July 2012
- U18-EM: Deutschland feiert klaren Auftaktsieg (German) Rugby-Journal - 2009 squad, published: 4 April 2009, accessed: 30 April 2010
- U18 in Bestbesetzung zur EM nach Italien (German) totalrugby.de, published: 23 March 2010, accessed: 30 April 2010