|This article relies on references to primary sources. (November 2009)|
|Traded as||NYSE: TSS
S&P 500 Component
|Founded||Columbus, Georgia (1983)|
|Headquarters||One TSYS Way, Columbus, Georgia, USA|
|Key people||Philip W. Tomlinson
Chairman & CEO
Total System Services, Inc. (commonly referred to as TSYS) is the largest processor of merchant acquirers and bank credit card issuers (#1 for credit card issuers and #2 for merchant processing in the United States). TSYS processes over $1 trillion a year in credit and debit card transactions. They created the TS2 and TS1 technology platforms. TSYS is located in Columbus, Georgia, United States.
In 1959 TSYS started as a division of Columbus Bank and Trust (CB&T). In 1974, CB&T started processing credit cards for other banks. In 1983, TSYS became a separate publicly traded company, although majority ownership remained with CB&T and its successor, Synovus. In 1991, TSYS began development on the next generation of processing platforms. Then in 1994, TSYS launched TS2. On September 24, 1999 TSYS opened up its new Riverfront Campus in Downtown Columbus. On October 25, 2007, TSYS and Synovus (holding 81% of shares at the time) announced a spin-off that was completed as of the end of 2007.
In July 12, 1999, Total System Services, Inc. announced the signing of a multi-year agreement with Bancahsa, to process its Honducard-Visa credit cards, which represented a step in Total System Services' international expansion strategy to become the global processor of choice.
In August 2012 TSYS announced a joint venture with Central Payments Co, one of the fastest growing ISOs in the US.
In February 2013 TSYS announced that it had agreed to purchase Netspend, a prepaid debit card provider, for $1.4 billion in cash.
In November 2013 TSYS announced TSYS Merchant Insights, a new partnership with Womply, a San Francisco-based startup, to provide revenue, social media, and reputation analysis tools to all TSYS merchants.
- TSYS Acquiring Solutions®
- TSYS Card Tech®
- TSYS do Brasil®
- TSYS EuropeSM
- TSYS JapanSM
- TSYS Merchant SolutionsSM
- Columbus Productions, Inc.SM
- TSYS Managed Services EMEA (55%)
- Total System Services de México, S.A. de C.V (TSYS de Mexico®) (49%)
- CUP Data (44.5%)
- GP Net Corporation (GP Net) (53%)
- Central Payments Co (60%)
- "TOTAL SYSTEM SERVICES INC 2013 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. February 25, 2014.
- "TOTAL SYSTEM SERVICES INC 2014 Q1 Quarterly Report Form (10-Q)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. May 8, 2014.
- "TSYS History." Retrieved on January 16, 2008.
- "TSYS Board Approves Agreement with Synovus for Spin-Off." Retrieved on March 11, 2011.
- "Total System Services, Inc.(R) Moves into Central America; Signs Leading Honduran Bank for Visa Card Processing".
- "n>genuity Journal." Retrieved on April 7, 2008.
- "TSYS Announces New n>genuity Journal Online and Editorial Board." Retrieved on September 13, 2011.
- "Total Systems acquires part of Bank of Omaha unit". Bloomberg BusienssWeek. April 1, 2010.
- "TSYS adds acquiring heft with full ownership of FNMS". The Green Sheet. January 24, 2011.
- Boyce, Christopher (October 14, 2004). "Columbus, Ga.-based credit account processor completes J.P. Morgan deal.". Columbus Ledger-Enquirer (Columbus, GA). Retrieved 2 January 2010.