TÜBİTAK Space Technologies Research Institute
|Predecessor||Ankara Electronics Research and Development Institute|
|Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK)|
|Ankara Electronics Research and Development Institute
Ankara Elektronik Araştırma Geliştirme Enstitüsü
TÜBİTAK Space Technologies Research Institute (Turkish: TÜBİTAK Uzay Teknolojileri Araştırma Enstitüsü), TÜBİTAK UZAY for short, is a Turkish institution carrying out research and development projects on space technology, electronics, information technology and related fields. It was established in 1985 under the name "Ankara Electronics Research and Development Institute" within the campus of Middle East Technical University (ODTÜ) in cooperation with the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (Turkish: Türkiye Bilimsel ve Teknolojik Araştırma Kurumu, TÜBİTAK) and the university in Ankara. In 1995, the organization was renamed. Since 1998, the institute houses in its new building in the campus.
TÜBİTAK UZAY specializes in space technologies, electronics, information technologies and related fields, keeping abreast of latest technological developments. The institute leads and takes part in R&D projects, aiming at having a pioneering role in the national research community, and assisting the industry in solving technical problems encountered during system design, selection and use, product development and manufacturing in abovementioned specialization areas.
TÜBİTAK UZAY gives special emphasis on developing capability on small satellite design, manufacturing and test, leading Turkish Space Program together with Turkish Aerospace Industries with Turkish Satellite Assembly, Integration and Test Center and initiating international collaboration in space technologies.
- 1 Research Areas
- 2 Affiliations
- 3 Mission and Vision
- 4 Quality Policy
- 5 Former directors
- 6 Uzay in Numbers
- 7 References
- 8 External links
TÜBİTAK UZAY conducts its research and development activities in the following areas with a total of 235 staff members, out of which 151 are researchers and technical support personnel.
- Space Technologies: Satellite systems, satellite sub-systems, satellite ground station sub-systems, satellite test and integration systems.
- Electronics: Communication systems, electronics system design, electro-optic mission payload, high-speed digital design, IC design.
- Software: Computer vision, speech processing, pattern recognition, remote sensing, multimedia technologies, data mining, machine learning, natural language processing, artificial intelligence.
- Power Electronics: Power quality, compensation systems, electrical motor drives, switched-mode power supplies, renewable energy resources.
- Power Distribution Systems: Analysis of electric production and transmission systems, strategic research and development in distribution automation, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Systems, criteria setting for planning, design and operation of distribution systems.
TÜBİTAK UZAY is member of following institutions:
- Asia-Pacific Space Cooperation Organization (APSCO)
- International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS)
- Disaster Monitoring Constellation (DMC)
- Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS)
- Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS)
- EUROPRACTICE IC Service
Mission and Vision
Mission of the Institute
TÜBİTAK UZAY's mission is, generating knowledge and technology for transforming and improving the technology base of domestic industry in space technologies, information technologies and electronics; guiding the sector and increasing public awareness in its field of operation. While conducting these studies, TÜBİTAK UZAY:
- Considers national priorities,
- Generates customer satisfaction via cost-effective and practicable projects,
- Combines the skills of academia and public and private sectors,
- Effectively participates in international projects."
Vision of the Institute
TÜBİTAK UZAY's vision is: To become a pioneer, effective and influential center of attraction on a national and international level through realizing R&D projects in accordance with national priorities in space technologies, information technologies and electronics research areas.
TÜBİTAK UZAY has the ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management System certificate since 7 December 2000. Quality policy of TÜBİTAK UZAY is determined in accordance with its mission, vision and range of activities.
TÜBİTAK UZAY Quality Policy
Taking the benefit of the society, the national policies of science and technology and advancements in the world into consideration.
TÜBİTAK UZAY's quality policy is based on:
- Realizing projects with scientific methods and effective usage of proper and new technologies;
- Achieving customer satisfaction in these projects;
- Ensuring institutional development of the institute with the notion of continuous improvement.
|02.01.1986||25.02.1988||Prof. Dr. Ayhan Türeli|
|26.02.1988||31.03.1988||Prof. Dr. Murat Aşkar (On behalf of)|
|01.04.1988||16.09.1988||Prof. Dr. Murat Aşkar|
|01.10.1988||23.11.1990||Prof. Dr. Hasan Güran|
|28.11.1990||27.11.1994||Prof. Dr. Ayhan Türeli|
|28.11.1994||30.11.1994||Prof. Dr. Mete Severcan (On behalf of)|
|01.12.1994||15.02.2002||Prof. Dr. Murat Aşkar|
|16.02.2002||27.07.2004||Prof. Dr. Erol Kocaoğlan|
|09.08.2004||06.10.2006||Dr. Uğur Murat Leloğlu (On behalf of)|
|07.10.2006||-||Dr. Uğur Murat Leloğlu|
Technical administrative directors
|1985||31.08.1988||Prof. Dr. Rüyal Ergül|
|01.09.1988||01.09.1990||Prof. Dr. Arif Ertaş|
|25.12.1990||01.01.1995||Prof. Dr. Mete Severcan|
|02.01.1995||01.01.1996||Prof. Dr. Bülent Ertan|
|02.01.1996||01.02.2000||Ass. Prof. Dr. Yıldız Arıkan|
|06.03.2000||05.06.2004||Ass. Prof. Dr. Gülbin Dural|
|06.06.2004||07.10.2006||Dr. Uğur Murat Leloğlu|
|22.01.2007||-||M.Sc. Erol Tunalı (On behalf of)|
Institute deputy directors
|14.05.1999||06.12.1999||F. Cihan Kurgan (On behalf of)|
|14.01.2000||14.02.2000||F. Cihan Kurgan (On behalf of)|
|15.02.2000||09.06.2002||F. Cihan Kurgan|
|10.06.2002||07.03.2005||Fikret Yalçınkaya (On behalf of)|
|14.07.2006||-||Arda Bülbül (On behalf of)|
Uzay in Numbers
Professional Background of Personnel at TÜBİTAK UZAY
|Electrical and Electronic Engineer||133|
|Part Time Employee||13|
Educational Background of Researchers
- Official website (English)