|Launched||1 January 1984|
|Owned by||TV5MONDE, S.A.
France Télévisions 12.58%
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (Radio Canada) 6.67%
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Slogan||Un monde, des mondes, TV5MONDE(s)|
|Analogue||UHF PAL in Kinshasa, Pointe-Noire, Mauritania, Tirana, Elbasan, Shkodër, Korçë, Librazhd, Gramsh, and Bulqizë|
|UHF SECAM only in Cape Verde, Mauritius and Seychelles|
|VHF SECAM in Chişinău|
|DVB-T||ERT B only in Athens and Thessaloniki|
|SKY México||Channel 277 (Mexico, Central America and The Caribbean)|
|CanalSat (France)||Channel 48|
|Dish TV (India)||Channel 731|
|SKY Italia (Italy)||Channel 540|
|Sky (UK, Ireland)||Channel 799|
|Dish Network (US)||Channel 731|
|Verizon FiOS (US)||Channel 1771|
|GVT (Brazil)||Channel 144|
|Astra 1L||11479.00 V 22000 5/6|
|Astra 1M||11538.00 V 22000 5/6|
|Badr 4||12073.00 H 27500 3/4|
|Hispasat 1C||12092.00 V 27500 3/4|
|Hot Bird 6||11137.00 H 27500 3/4 (Digital)|
|Nilesat 101||11900.00 V 27500 3/4|
|KT QOOK TV (South Korea)||Channel 350|
|SKY Brasil||Channel 108 (Brazil)|
|Available on most cable systems||Check local listings for details|
TV5Monde (French pronunciation: [te ve sɛ̃k mɔ̃d]; formerly known as TV5) is a global television network, broadcasting several channels of French language programming. It is an approved participant member of the European Broadcasting Union.
TV5 started in 1 January 1984 and was under the management of Serge Adda until November 2004; the new director, named on 6 April 2005 is Jean-Jacques Aillagon, former French Minister for Culture and Communication. The present Director-General is Marie-Christine Saragosse.
In January 1992 TV5 underwent a major overhaul including re-branding as "TV5MONDE" to stress its focus as a global network ("Monde" is French for "World"). Also part of the changes are a new schedule and new program line-up. Since 1993, "TV5 Monde" is part of the channel's corporate name. Its Canadian operations are branded "TV5 Québec Canada", however, though the shorter version TV5 is also used.
Most of its content is taken from mainstream networks in the French-speaking world, notably France Télévisions from France, RTBF from Belgium, RTS from Switzerland, and the Radio-Canada and TVA networks in Canada. In addition to international news, TV5MONDE broadcasts Ligue 1, films and music magazines.
The number "5" in the name is the number of founding networks: Télévision Française 1 (TF1), Antenne 2 (France2), FR 3 (France 3), TSR (RTS Un) and RTBF (La Une). Today, the partnership making up the TV5MONDE consortium are France Télévisions, Arte France, Institut national de l'audiovisuel, Radio-Canada, Télé-Québec. This consortium owns 51% of the service, while the other 49% is owned by Société de l'audiovisuel extérieur de la France, a holding company that manages France's international broadcasting services.
As of 2006, eight editions are being transmitted:
- TV5MONDE FBS (France, Belgium, Switzerland)
- TV5MONDE Europe (rest of Europe)
- TV5MONDE Afrique (Africa, except Maghreb)
- TV5MONDE Maghreb – Orient (Maghreb, Middle East)
- TV5Monde Asie (rest of Asia)
- TV5MONDE USA *(United States) with occasional English subtitles
- TV5MONDE Amérique Latine & Caraïbes (Latin America and the Caribbean) with Spanish and Portuguese subtitles
- TV5MONDE Pacifique (Japan – South Korea – Southeast Asia - Oceania)
- TV5 Québec Canada **(Canada)
(*) TV5MONDE États-Unis has certain programs subtitled in English. Particularly a few of the News Journals and most movies are subtitled in English language. It is unusual to watch a French movie without English language subtitles on TV5MONDE États-Unis.
(**) TV5 Québec Canada is produced in Montreal, the other seven channels from Paris under the name TV5MONDE.
TV5MONDE FBS and TV5MONDE Europe are Free-To-Air and can be received by satellite. Additionally:
- Albania: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on analogue broadcasting in some Albanian municipalities on channels 43, 35, 50, 39, 25, 56 UHF.
- Germany: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on analogue or digital cable.
- Greece: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on ERT channel 22, 46.
- Israel: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on Yes channel 131.
- Italy: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on SKY Italia channel 540 and on IPTV Infostrada TV, Tiscali TV and Alice Home TV on the same channel number and on TV di FASTWEB channel 68.
- Netherlands: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on satellite: CanalDigitaal channel 194, on Cable television: UPC Netherlands channel 55, Ziggo channel 621 and all other small cable companies, on IPTV: KPN channel 70 and Glashart Media channel 421. TV5MONDE FBS can be found on satellite: CanalDigitaal channel 195.
- Norway: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on Canal Digital channel 152.
- Republic of Ireland: UPC Ireland: 825; Sky: 799
- Romania: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on Dolce channel 116.
- Spain: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on ONO (Spain) cable channel 402.
- Turkey: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on Digiturk channel 102 and Turkish Cable Television.
- United Kingdom: TV5MONDE Europe can be found on Sky channel 799 and on digital cable on Virgin Media on channel 825.
Neither TV5MONDE nor its supplementary services are Free-To-Air in North America.
In the United States, TV5MONDE USA is one of several foreign-language premium channels offered through International Media Distribution. The channel is offered nationwide on Dish Network, AT&T U-verse, and Verizon FiOS, and offered in most major markets on traditional cable systems such as Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Xfinity and Bright House Networks. TV5MONDE is offered on cable and satellite as an a la carte selection for $9.99 a month. On most systems, a subscription to another programming tier or a digital cable package may be required. Purportedly due to underfunding, TV5MONDE cannot yet offer accurate advance scheduling or on-time programming, but progress is being made in these fronts.
In addition, TV5MONDE USA offers a French-language children's channel, TiVi5MONDE, which offers a selection of Children's and young adult programming in French. The channel is currently available on Dish Network, as part of the TV5MONDE subscription.
TV5 Québec Canada is a French Canadian version of TV5MONDE. It offers largely the same programming schedule, with the exception that programming from Radio-Canada, which is already available across Canada, is replaced with content from the provincial educational networks Télé-Québec and TFO. As with TV5MONDE, TV5 Québec Canada is also a cooperative effort, though involving French Canadian networks and producers.
TV5MONDE is not Free-To-Air in South America.
- In Brazil, TV5MONDE is offered by SKY Brasil on channel 108, Via Embratel on channel 132, Net on channel 141 and TVA.
Asia, Australia and New Zealand
It is free to air from the AsiaSat 3S satellite, covering most of Asia and Australia. Triangle TV in Auckland and Wellington rebroadcasts some news programmes. In Singapore, StarHub TV service broadcasts it on Channel 152 for its digital service customers on MediaCorp TV Channel 5 and MediaCorp TV HD5. In India, Zee Network provides this channel for its Dish Network DTH services subscribers. Also, many others like Hathway cable TV and local cable TV operators offer TV5Monde free of cost. The channel is also available in Japan on Fuji Television platform and Television New Zealand in New Zealand.
In South Korea, ISP provider Qrix offers TV5 on its premium HD cable package and will begin offering it via IPTV from Feb. 16.
- India: TV5MONDE Asia can be found on Dish TV channel 731.
- Indonesia - Southeast Asia: TV5MONDE Asia can be found on Indovision channel 356, First Media channel 260 and OkeVision channel 158.
- Pakistan: TV5MONDE Asia is available on demand by requesting the local cable operator.
- Philippines: TV5MONDE Asia can be found on SkyCable channel 153 through digital platform.
- Singapore: TV5MONDE Asia can be found on StarHub TV channel 152.
- Taiwan: TV5MONDE Asia can be found on CHT MOD channel 111.
- Thailand: TV5MONDE Asia can be found on TrueVisions channel 143.
- Official Site (French)
- TV5 Québec Canada (French)
- TV5Monde US
- TV5Monde Asia
- TV5Monde Charter (French)