|Headquarters||Mountain View, California, USA|
|Key people||Paul Shen, Chief Executive Officer|
|Products||TVUPack, TVU Grid, TVU Anywhere, TVU MLink|
TVU Networks Corporation is a company that manufactures live mobile television broadcasting equipment. Founded in 2005, the company's headquarters are in Mountain View, California and also has offices in Shanghai, Boston, New York and Raleigh, North Carolina.
TVU Networks provides broadcasters with multiple wireless electronic news-gathering (ENG) and IP-video solutions. TVU Networks' line of transmission products including the TVUPack are mobile broadcasting devices that can transmits a live HDTV signal over 3G/4G/LTE, Wi-Fi, WiMax, or Broadband Global Area Network networks. It is used by TV news stations for outdoor live broadcasting by stations like KKTV and others. TVU Networks' solutions have also been used to deliver live HD footage of a number of events around the world including the World Cup, the London Summer Olympics, the Sochi Winter Olympics, U.S. presidential elections, and the 2013 Papal conclave.
TVU networks distributed TVUBroadcast software which allowed users to broadcast content off "mms://" servers, and from computer disks. TVU provided a downloadable application through early 2013. The TVUbroadcaster however, would not let users stream video files. Instead, an encoder was required.
TVUPlayer was freeware software application for Windows and Mac OS X to watch several dozen TV channels over the Internet. TVU did not broadcast these channels, but provided a platform for broadcasters to distribute content online. It was the responsibility of the individual who broadcasts a particular channel on TVU to keep the channel running and ensure that the content can be legally transmitted. It was unknown to the viewer who the broadcaster was. Broadcasts originate from either a large broadcasting company itself, which chose to provide viewers with its broadcast, or individual broadcasters who created their own content or capture public broadcasts and rebroadcast them on TVU.
It was debated whether TVU Networks operated an illegal service by knowingly providing users with an opportunity to watch copyrighted content without the permission of content owners. However, the company did not provide the illegal content itself due the fact that was the responsibility of the user who provided the content to verify its legality.
TVU Networks shut down service to the TVUPlayer on February 25, 2013.
TVUPack family of portable transmission solutions enables broadcasters to deliver video of live news and events to audiences from any location. TVUPack broadcasts live video in HD or SD using multiple 3G/4G/LTE/Wi-Fi/WiMax/BGAN connections. TVUPack products use TVU Networks' proprietary Inverse StatMux+ technology. Inverse StatMux+ dynamically segments a live video signal and transmits the segments through multiple independent connections, and then uses intelligent monitoring and control to adjust the signal in real-time to ensure that each 3G/4G/LTE wireless connection is fully utilized.
TVU Grid is an IP-video distribution, routing and switching system that gives broadcasters the ability to switch between live IP video content and share live video streams between multiple remote locations.
- "TVUPack Enables KKTV to Deliver Over 131 Straight Hours of Live Coverage of Colorado Springs Fire". Press release. July 17, 2012. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Joan Masip. "TVU Networks Makes News Feeds Easy January 3, 2012". TV Technology. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "Broadcasters Cut the Cord at Sochi Games with TVU Cell-Transmission Packs". Press release. March 11, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Download the Free TVUBroadcast Software". Company web site. Archived from the original on February 15, 2013. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Greg Sandoval (November 6, 2006). "TVU chief grapples with copyright questions". CNET News. Archived from the original on January 19, 2013. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "TVU Networks shut down service to the TVU Player on February 25, 2013.". Company web site. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "TVUPack Inverse Statmux Technology.". Youtube. February 11, 2013. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "TVU Networks Introduces Next Generation of TVU Grid IP-Based Video Switching, Routing and Distribution Solution". Press release. August 27, 2013.