||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Turkish Wikipedia. (October 2013)|
||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
Location of Taşköprü within Turkey.
|• Mayor||Hüseyin Arslan (DP)|
|• District||1,811.31 km2 (699.35 sq mi)|
|Elevation||553 m (1,814 ft)|
|• District density||22/km2 (56/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Taşköprü (Turkish: taş köprü "stone bridge") is a town and district of Kastamonu Province in the Black Sea region of Turkey. According to the 2000 census, population of the district is 43,800 of which 16,181 live in the town of Taşköprü. The district covers an area of 1,811 km2 (699 sq mi), and the town lies at an elevation of 553 m (1,814 ft).
The town takes its name from the stone bridge constructed in the 13th century by the Chobanids over the Gök River. The 68 meter span is supported on seven arches and still carries automobile traffic. Taşköprü is 42 km from Kastamonu and is noted for its garlic.
In its history, the district has been one of the important settlements of several civilizations. In 64 BC it became part of the Roman Empire. Since 1100 AD Taşköprü is a Turkish-İslamic district.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Turkish Statistical Institute. "Census 2000, Key statistics for urban areas of Turkey" (XLS) (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- GeoHive. "Statistical information on Turkey's administrative units". Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- Statoids. "Statistical information on districts of Turkey". Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc. "Geographical information on Taşköprü, Turkey". Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- District governor's official website (Turkish)
|This geographical article about a location in Kastamonu Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|