He was promoted with them from the second division to the NBL and then joined the Auckland Stars in 1994. In eight seasons with Auckland, he won five NBL titles (1995, 1996, 1997, 1999 and 2000), and was named NBL Coach of the Year four times (1995, 97, 99 and 2014).
He remains the most victorious coach in the history of the New Zealand NBL. Baldwin's involvement continued with the Stars as a co-owner for another eight years after he left as coach.
In 2001, he took the reins of the New Zealand national team. By winning the 2001 FIBA Oceania championship, the Tall Blacks — as New Zealand are known — qualified for the 2002 FIBA World Championship, and even reached the semi-finals; this is the best performance by an Oceania team in the history of the World Championships. Baldwin was made an Honorary Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the New Year Honours 2003, for services to basketball. For his achievements as coach of the New Zealand team, Baldwin was awarded the coach of the year at the Halberg awards — New Zealand's premier sports awards — for both 2001 and 2002.
In June 2011, Baldwin was hired to coach the Jordan national basketball team.
- Club Team 2009-10: Kepez Belediyespor, Turkey
- Coaching Career: Auburn Montgomery (USA-NCAA Division II, 1983–86), Central Florida (USA-NCAA Division I, 1986–88), Otago Nuggets (New Zealand-NBL, 1988–90), Auckland Stars (New Zealand-NBL, 1994–2001), Perak Red Eagles ([Malaysia]) ([Malaysia Basketball League]), 1996, 1997), Banvitspor (Turkey-TBL, 2004–06), PAOK Thessaloniki B.C. (Greece-A1, 2007–08), U Mobitelco Cluj (Romania-Divizia A, Dec 2007 - Jun 2009), Kepez Antalya Sep 2009-Dec 2009, Sagesse Beirut (Lebanon, 2010–12), Fujian Xunxing (China, 2012–13), Hawke's Bay Hawks ([[New Zealand]], 2013–present); Consultant to the Philippine National Team at the 2013 FIBA Asia Qualification Tournament.
- International Coaching Career: Head coach of New Zealand national basketball team (2001–06)
- Head coach of Malaysian National Basketball Team (1996)
- Head coach of Lebanon national basketball team (2010–2011)
- Head coach of Lebanese Basketball League Sagesse (2011)
- Head coach of Jordan national basketball team (2011-2012)
- Team Consultant of Philippines men's national basketball team (2013-present)
- Jessup, Peter (9 February 2001). "Basketball: Double change on the bench". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- Jessup, Peter (23 August 2000). "Basketball: Rewards sweet for coach Baldwin". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "The New Zealand New Year Honours 2003". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 31 December 2002. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "Halberg awards: Rowing twins share triumph". New Zealand Herald. 1 March 2002. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Thomson, Ainsley (20 February 2002). "Tall Blacks slam dunk at the Halbergs". Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "LIB – Lebanon appoint Tab Baldwin as coach".
- "LIB/JPN - Lebanon lead from start to finish for their maiden Men’s title".
|New Zealand's Coach of the Year