The Tabing Ilog cast members
John Lloyd Cruz
Jodi Sta. Maria
Desiree del Valle
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Running time||90 minutes/every Sunday|
|Original run||March 14, 1999– October 19, 2003|
Tabing Ilog (Eng. translation : The Riverside / The Riverbank) is a youth-oriented Filipino television drama series which aired on ABS-CBN Channel 2 for more than four years from late 90's to the early 2000s. It was topbilled by Paula Peralejo, John Lloyd Cruz, Patrick Garcia, Jodi Sta. Maria, Paolo Contis, Desiree del Valle, Baron Geisler and Kaye Abad which the story circulates on their friendship and find their paths in finding new friends.
The premise of the series focuses on the friendship of best friends Anne, Eds, Badong, James, Rovic, Fonzy, Corrine and George.
Among the original main characters that were launched in 1999 include:
- Kaye Abad as Epifania "Eds/Ponyang" delos Santos
- John Lloyd Cruz as Rolando Victor "Rovic" Mercado
- Jodi Sta. Maria as Georgina "George" Fuentebella
- Patrick Garcia as Jaime "James" Collantes
- Paolo Contis as Salvador "Badong" Magtibay
- Desiree del Valle as Corrine Ledesma
- Paula Peralejo as Angela "Anne" de Guzman
- Baron Geisler as Alfonso "Fonzy" Ledesma
- Trina Zuniga as Marie / Cecile Dela Rhea
- Carol Banawa as Andoy / Andrea
In July 2003, additional characters were introduced which include:
- Camille Prats as Natasha
- Juddha Paolo as Roy
- Angelene Aguilar as Parpi
- Paolo Paraiso as Dodge
- Maoui David as Hillary
- Brian Tan as Jiggs
- Rica Peralejo as Anne's sister. She only appears on flash back scenes. She was the ex-girlfriend of James who committed suicide.
- Ian Galliguez as Sabrina
- Caridad Sanchez as Lola Juling (Rovic's grandmother)
- Angel Aquino as Tita Pia (George's stepmother)
- Matt Ranillo III as Carlos Fuentebella (George's father)
- Susan Africa as Esperanza 'Esper' Magtibay (Badong's mother)
- Pen Medina as Epifanio 'Panyong' delos Santos (Eds' father)
- Daria Ramirez as Azon delos Santos (Eds' mother)
- Mico Palanca as Perry
- Janette McBride as Fair
- Rafael Rosell IV as Oliver McFuller
- Leandro Muñoz as Fran Ledesma (Fonzy & Corrine's stepbrother)
- Julia Clarete as Cynthia Ledesma (Fonzy & Corrine's stepsister)
- Lito Legaspi as Francisco Ledesma (Fonzy & Corrine's father)
- Gio Alvarez as Boyet delos Santos (Eds' older brother)
- Dimples Romana as Jacqueline/Jackie
- Eugene Domingo as Badong & Corrine's drama class professor
- Dan Fernandez as Tito Jun (Rovic's stepfather)
- Beth Tamayo as Sonia
- Al Tantay as Anne's father
- Efren Reyes, Jr. as Badong's father
- Gerard Pizzaras
- Romaro Salcedo as Ryan Cervantes
- Julia Clarete as Celia
- At the time it started the most popular loveteam among the four pairs: Kaye Abad and John Lloyd Cruz. The loveteam of Patrick Garcia and Paula Peralejo became well known in the teleserye Mula Sa Puso with Claudine Barretto.
- Paula Peralejo didn't appear on the last two episodes of the series. She was supposed to be the maid of honor of Kaye Abad in the wedding scene with John Lloyd Cruz. She was then replaced by Jodi Sta. Maria.
- Paula and Rica Peralejo are real life sisters
- Barbie Almalbis sung the theme song, 'Tabing-Ilog'.
- The show was shot mostly in Pagsanjan, Laguna.
- It was tagged as the Philippine version of Dawson's Creek.
- Among the 4 pairs which were originally launched, 3 of them were once real-life sweethearts. The exception being Paula Peralejo and Patrick Garcia, having never been romantically involved in real life.
- In the show, Paolo Contis and Kaye Abad's character were portrayed as best friends. Few people know that they are really the best of friends off-cam.
- The show was "reformatted" in July 2003, with the show introducing new characters.