Table of Historical Maps
This is a table of historic maps.
Map Type Notes
All maps show at least some geographical features, such as ocean and lake shorelines, rivers, mountains, and forests, at some level of detail and accuracy.
- Political maps feature the point location of populated places (such as cities) and the areal boundaries of political or cultural entities.
- Language maps feature the areal boundaries of languages.
- Military maps feature the linear tracks of military expeditions and/or the outlines of military formations.
- Exploration maps feature the linear tracks of explorers and the features they have encountered.
- Economic maps feature the point location not only of populated places, but of economic resources, manufactures, and industrial production, as well as linear routes of trade.
Map Made Notes
A date or keyword in the "Made" column is intended to quickly identify the provenance and age of the historical map image resource.
- The best accredited date it was drawn if it is an Old Map.
- The word Unknown if it is an Old Map which is clearly not recent, but the exact date is not evident.
- The word Recent if it is a recently constructed interpretation of the historical situations portrayed.